Electronic Ignition

Gotta love that wiring . . .
alex

Electronic Ignition

Post by alex »

Hi,

I have just about lost it with burning out the contact points in my '77 124 and have started investigating electronic ignition systems. I am not looking for any performance boost, just increased reliability. Has anyone ever done this or know of any companies that offer a decent system?

Thanks.
Alex
So Cal Mark

Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by So Cal Mark »

either use a stock Marelli system or get the crane xr unit
alex

Post by alex »

Thanks Mark.

Is there a Marelli system designed for a later FIAT that I should look for, or did they specifically make an aftermarket unit?

I have also heard a bunch about Pertronix. Any opinions on those?

Alex
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

Marelli elec units were stock from 79 on. I haven't used Pertronix
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

You can use the entire ignition system from the 1979-1985 Spider 2000. It works "out of the box" with no points to adjust. FWIW Marelli sold a replacement unit called a Marelliplex, which is identical to the 79-85 unit but doesn't require vacuum advance to operate. The plex can be had for about $800.00 from one vendor and almost never found used.

If you use the original unit from a Spider 2000 then use a carburetor that has vacuum advance, otherwise your low end performance will suffer.
perthling
Your car is a: 1974 124 Spider

Post by perthling »

I'm just converting my '74 across to a later 131 electronic ignition setup. Can I stick with the original coil or should I upgrade, and if so, to what? I have read much conflicting information on whether the coil should be replaced.

Regards
1975 Fiat 124 CC (project)
1969 Fiat 124AC (project)
1997 Coupe Fiat 20VT (daily driver)
http://www.fiatlancia.org.au
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I'd convert if for no other reason than to get a higher output. Those e-coils put out twice the voltage your oil filled unit produces