What is the best sound deadening material?

General chat about the car goes in here.
fiatS2000

What is the best sound deadening material?

Post by fiatS2000 »

I will be removing all the original insulation on the inner firewall and floor. What is the best sound deadening material to use that will also keep the heat out?
Danno

Post by Danno »

don't know about best, but i used this. seems to be easy to work with. Some suggest this in combination with a rubber type sound deadener too....

http://www.yourautotrim.com is the location. sounds like you are doing what Carla and I just did....

check out our discussion here
kimu

Post by kimu »

Danno

Post by Danno »

I'm not making this about quality, cause I can't compare the two. I do know that if you buy that b-quiet at the cheapest rate (i.e. in huge bulk) it still runs $12/square foot. that stuff I posted above is $1 per square foot. I wonder if it's 12 times better?
pertyfly

Post by pertyfly »

MMM, my calcs show that the 12 ft roll is about 4.58/ft
The largest quantity is about 2.40/ft

:D
Danno

Post by Danno »

pertyfly wrote:MMM, my calcs show that the 12 ft roll is about 4.58/ft
The largest quantity is about 2.40/ft

:D
so what are you saying, I don't know that when you divide 119.99 by 50 you get 2.3998 which rounds up to 12 dollars (when you are rounding to the nearest 12 dollars)....

lol, i'm having a bad day, leave me alone!
pertyfly

Post by pertyfly »

haha...no probs...

It's funny...cuz I saw that and was thinking "that's just mental..why would anyone pay that?" And when I thought about it I ended up somehow figuring 1.20/ft which is way wrong as well LoL

Anyway...
bandit

Post by bandit »

Bricks work really well ! might take up some room in the car
but it will be Quit :lol:

Daniel
Danno

Post by Danno »

pertyfly wrote:haha...no probs...

It's funny...cuz I saw that and was thinking "that's just mental..why would anyone pay that?" And when I thought about it I ended up somehow figuring 1.20/ft which is way wrong as well LoL

Anyway...
i'm sure you had the same problem I did. it said 120 for 50sq ft when you buy more than one, so, I thought 100sq ft, then i took that same 120 and divided it by 100 (should have doubled the 120) and in my head i musta had problems moving the decimal over far enough. you must have done the same thing but moved the decimal appropriately. either way you got it right with the 2.40.............
spidernut
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider Automatic

Post by spidernut »

A loud stereo or really good earplugs cover up those squeeks and rattles really well! I used a rubberized undercoating material in the doors and quarter panels. The problems is that the more quiet you make the car, the more noticeable the small squeeks and rattles become.
John G.
1979 Spider (Owned since 2000)
1971 124 Sport Spider (Owned since 2017)
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Disposed of in 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
1980 Spider (Sold in 2013)
1981 Spider (Sold in 1985)
2017 Spider (Owned since 2019)