disributor or timing issues???

Gotta love that wiring . . .
paris

disributor or timing issues???

Post by paris »

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with some advice.
I went to replace the gasket at the bottom of the distributor where it goes into the heads..
I had to pull the distributor completly out, I did mark it so I could put it back in rite.
Well I got the wrong seal from international so I went to put everything back together;
when I went to start the car it would'nt fire, I guess I have to turn the motor to top dead center???
What's the best way to turn my motor and is there any thing else I should know????????
Thanks for any help. Oh it's a1978. with dual condensors.
So Cal Mark

Re: disributor or timing issues???

Post by So Cal Mark »

when you line up the timing mark on the crankshaft, it can be firing on either #1 or 4. You need to pull #1 spark plug and make sure you're on the compression stroke before putting the dist in.
paris

Post by paris »

So Cal Mark wrote:when you line up the timing mark on the crankshaft, it can be firing on either #1 or 4. You need to pull #1 spark plug and make sure you're on the compression stroke before putting the dist in.
Thank you, now does that mean I don't have to worry about the cams lining up in a certain way.
Do I put a socket on the crankshaft to turn it and if so do have any idea what size socket it is it's pretty big???? :?:
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

turn it with the crankshaft nut, DON'T try to turn it with the camshaft bolts. I 1/2 socket will fit it. Or use the starter to bump it around to feel when you coming up on compression on #1
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Ventura Ace taught me a neat trick. Seeing as the crankshaft nut is pretty much a "crawl under the car to get to it" bugger, we used the alternator pulley nut. Put a little downward pressure on the belt with one hand and turn the alternator with a ratchet (22mm if I remember correctly, but 7/8" works). This way you can be up where you can check the positioning from where you are.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

So Cal Mark wrote:when you line up the timing mark on the crankshaft, it can be firing on either #1 or 4. You need to pull #1 spark plug and make sure you're on the compression stroke before putting the dist in.
Note: Just to clarify. I believe Mark's suggestion is based on the assumption that you will point the distributor rotor toward the #1 spark plug wire on the cap (and should correspond to the engine being at the TDC mark for #1 and #4, and the valves being in the position for the end of the compression stroke for #1).

If you can see the cam pulley index marks, it may be easier to index to the #4 spark event. The cam pulley index marks define the end of the compression stroke for the #4 cylinder. So if you rotate the engine to roughly this position (and verify that the crankshaft pulley is at TDC), you would point the distributor rotor to the #4 spark plug wire on the cap. If the timing belt cover is in place, you can still see the cam pulley index holes from the rear of the pulleys, and there should be a seam in the cam tower castings which is the same as the cam wheel pointer that you see in front of the pulleys with the timing belt cover removed. The bottom line is that the the 2 cam pulley index holes should be on the top side of the pulley and pointed inward by about the same amount on both pulleys, then look at the crankshaft pulley to rotate to TDC, and you should be good to go for setting the dizzy to the #4 spark event.

Alvon
paris

Get-er done!!!

Post by paris »

Thanks guys thats some good stuff , I'm going to go get-er done!!!! :D
paris

She LIVES!!!!!

Post by paris »

Thanx fired rite up!!!!! :D
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Woohoo! Another Spider back on the road again.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I guess I did make that more complicated than it had to be. That's what happens late on Sunday night :?
paris

Post by paris »

So Cal Mark wrote:I guess I did make that more complicated than it had to be. That's what happens late on Sunday night :?
Thanks all the info came together in the end. I'll try and save my more complicated questions for monday mornings? :wink: