Mystery Wires (?)

Gotta love that wiring . . .
NSFIAT
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina

Mystery Wires (?)

Post by NSFIAT »

Hello everyone! Hoping to get an answer on some wiring I've come across.

I've been working on an '81 Spider and have recently been trouble shooting some lighting issues. When the headlights are on I can't get my signal lights to work, although the four-way flashers will fire - just at a very slow rate (maybe once every 1-2 seconds). When the headlights are off everything is fine and seems to fire at a normal rate (signal lights and four-ways). When the headlights are off the brake lights will work just fine, but when the headlights are on only the passenger side brakelight will fire properly - the driver side takes a long time to light up and when it does it is very dim.

I've replaced a good number of the ground clips (still more to go) and cleaned up the ground pods (I haven't touched the one under the dash yet) and things seem to be getting better - lights are brighter and I finally noticed the back-lighting behind the dashboard gauges. Since I've last fired up the car I've cleaned / polished the tail-light circuit board on the driver's side - there was a fair amount of corrosion, etc. I'm hoping this further improves the lighting situation - time will tell!

One question remains - in cleaning things up I've come across two stray wires in the trunk which come off the main bundle of wires that feed into the circuit board on the driver's side. One is light blue & white while the other is two shades of purple. In looking at the wiring diagrams it appears that they tie into the flasher / four-way system - I'm just not sure why these two open ends would be located in the trunk? What should they be tied into?
blusmith
Your car is a: 1982 124 spyder

Re: Mystery Wires (?)

Post by blusmith »

Power to aerial motor? Light blue and white usually means 12v feed switched on with ignition.
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

My 80 has the same wires, as he said power antenna
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Post by seabeelt »

The headlights and and side markers are on different circuits than the directionals. Sounds like you have a power draw somewhere that is taking the majority of available power and not leaving enough for the directionals.
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
NSFIAT
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina

Post by NSFIAT »

Thanks for the tips - you guys were right! Finally got my hands on a good set of wiring diagrams and a test light. No power running to these at the moment so no worries. Still working on the other stuff :D