Burned Wire In The Dash....

Gotta love that wiring . . .
firenguitar303

Burned Wire In The Dash....

Post by firenguitar303 »

Hi All... Hope you can help!

So, about a year and a half ago I had a wire in my engine compartment go burn itself up. It's the wire that goes to the solenoid on the carburetor (I've upgraded the stock to a Weber 34ADF). I replaced the specific wire and everything was fine. The other day, while at a gas station, I had what I believe is the same wire, but inside the dash, burn itself from the fuse block to the plug on the dash harness, taking many of the grounding wires for the dash with it (read: no gauges, turn signals, brake lights, although the dash lights, wipers, clock and headlights work). I've been having issues with what I believe is the starter, where it will do a very slow and labored turnover for a few times, then kick in and start just fine. A recent time, I had an electrical burning smell after it started. Could this be causing the burning issue with the other wire? A high load or feedback from the alternator? I believe I've traced it to the "red light" on the dash that is the indicator that the engine is running. I can get the car to start, but it won't idle. I'm all for replacing wires in the cramped conditions of the dashboard (yay!), but would rather FIX the issue, rather than just patch the wires back together.

Thanks all! If it's nowhere else, it's a 1977 Fiat 124, 100,218 miles on it...

Curt
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Re: Burned Wire In The Dash....

Post by vandor »

Likely the slow starting issue is not related. For that install a second body to engine ground strap and see if it improves.

On the burned wire. DO disconnect the fusebox end. Then you will have to replace the individual wires that are burned out.
Remove the instrument cluster for easier access.

You could replace the entire harness with another used one, but it would be a lot more work...
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town