Ignition Switch broken with broken key in it?!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
FabriziaSpider

Ignition Switch broken with broken key in it?!

Post by FabriziaSpider »

My ignition switch just conked out on me and I can't make the key turn towards the arrow to unlock my steering wheel. I do not want to spend money on a locksmith, I already have a new ignition switch I just can't get the old one out. I've tried hammering, drilling, basically anything short of some kind of explosive to get this ignition switch off. I am going bananas. Because my car is equipped with the steering lock I'm pretty sure the lock on my old ignition switch is still engaged even though I've unplugged it. Does anyone know how to remove these little buggers when they get old and stuck? Is there a special place I should drill that could get it unstuck? I am very confused and with all the sun and hot weather we are getting up here in Montreal, my patience is wearing thin. I need my car back on the road so I can enjoy it!

If anyone has experienced this before or knows of a way to get them off I'm open to it, I just want my car to work again.

Thanks,

A very discouraged,

FabriziaSpider
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Re: Ignition Switch broken with broken key in it?!

Post by vandor »

If you can't turn the key to the little arrow then you have to destroy the switch to get it out. You can try drilling a hole toward the top of the key so it drills through the tumblers. Maybe after that you will be able to turn it.
Good luck!
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

I have two spare column shaft/ignition switch assemblies. Basically the part the steering wheel bolts to, what houses the ignition switch, and what bolts up to the underside of the dash. One of them has an ignition switch stuck in it, the other does not. I've saved these as the column shaft bearings are NLA. (that I know of) If you can't get your ignition switch out of your column, maybe switching out the whole column assembly would be another option. Try and get the switch out first, if no success, let me know and I can send the part.

Shipping will be actual, pay what you want/think is fair for the part. matt.scarton@gmail.com
FabriziaSpider

Post by FabriziaSpider »

Hey guys after about three hours of trying to figure it out I finally (with a hammer and a flat head :P) destroyed the old ignition and got it out! I am pretty happy but now my only problem is, is that I can't align my steering wheel so when I'm driving my wheel is turned towards the right and I think it might be the way I put it back on to the bottom rod that connects the steering to the column. If anyone has done this before I'd like to see what others did :P

Best Regards,

Fab
GeorgeT
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by GeorgeT »

When you have the front wheel pointed straight ahead, remove the steering wheel and put it back on centered. The steering column is splined so you just have to line up the steering wheel correctly.
FabriziaSpider wrote:Hey guys after about three hours of trying to figure it out I finally (with a hammer and a flat head :P) destroyed the old ignition and got it out! I am pretty happy but now my only problem is, is that I can't align my steering wheel so when I'm driving my wheel is turned towards the right and I think it might be the way I put it back on to the bottom rod that connects the steering to the column. If anyone has done this before I'd like to see what others did :P

Best Regards,

Fab
bsingle

Post by bsingle »

Just had a key made for 79 spider niw key is stuck in accessiries position
Cant get key out now the switch wont come out as key wil not go to arrow....

I may need switch ....and thd rest of it to get going again

Pleasy let me know if available shiip to canada ....desparate for help.....

Thanks 9024834360 ...bob@singleimage.com