Which tire is a better bet??

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
kapman001

Which tire is a better bet??

Post by kapman001 »

So i have decided to put 4 (5 including the spare) new tires on my 13x6 cromodoras. I have narrowed my search down to either Sumitomo HTR-200 or Falken Ziex ZE-512 in 185/60/13. Let me know if anyone has had experience with either of these tires or have an opinion one way or the other. Thanks!
josh76

Post by josh76 »

I have the Falken Ziex's on my Honda civic as a summer tire, not as gripy as say the Alzenis I use for autox, but much much better in the rain. I have been pretty happy with them.

1/8 inch of toe out has caused some fairly rapid wear on the front, but the backs are looking fine.
kapman001

What about Yokos

Post by kapman001 »

I am now considering a third option: Yokohama Adiv T4 186/70/13. Anyone had a set of these on their car?
Danno

Re: What about Yokos

Post by Danno »

kapman001 wrote:I am now considering a third option: Yokohama Adiv T4 186/70/13. Anyone had a set of these on their car?
there are a lot of guys using these on my aerio forum. they seem to really like it. I've got Kuhmo Ecstas ASX on my aerio and I love them. they are an all-season though.
pastaroni

Post by pastaroni »

I originally had the Ziex, great tires. Personally I like their profile and characteristics much more than the Avids. I've driven both but the Avids were on an Alfa. Just to give you an idea what I mean about their profile, the Ziex have a more square edge to them, so the sidewall goes straight up from the rim to the tread, the Avids are more rounded. The Avids are a little softer compound also..... I vote Ziex.
kapman001

2 votes for Ziex!

Post by kapman001 »

Thanks for the responses! About the Ziex, I too agree I like the profile better on these which is actually one of my reasons for moving away from "i want the cheapest tire you have". No problems with these tires giving way in turns? Thanks!!
pastaroni

Post by pastaroni »

giving way? no. they have a pretty tough sidewall for a midrange tire. in fact I really liked those tires except that the wheel wells on my car were severly underfilled. here's a picture:

of course its not on the ground.. I dont remember if you've seen the car with those wheels or not.

the new wheels are 15x7 panasports with falken azenis. mmm sticky tires. mmm

-Jason
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Jason, what kind of wheels are those? I've got a 72 parts car with wheels like that and was wondering if they were aftermarket or stock.
Thanks,
Denise
kapman001

Post by kapman001 »

Jason, yea i do remember seeing those on your car.. i actually really like how the look (even if hey don't fill up the wheel well!). Good to know at least one person has has the Falkens on a fiat before I buy a set! If i had the loot i would like to move up to some bigger wheels too!
pastaroni

Post by pastaroni »

Denise,
I would be really excited if you had that same set. AFAIK they are one of a kind wheels. The ones I have are made by Shelby America. 13x6. I have seen similar "turbine" type wheels 20 spoke I think. Corey has a partial set.

-Jason
pertyfly

Post by pertyfly »

Sorry, this is kind of unrelated...however...

Pastaroni, In the pic I see a bunch of lug nuts just laying there. Is that also a stud I see there? What do you guys use for the lugs?

When I first took the wheels off my car, I foudn that someone had taken normal studs from another car, and cut the heads off. They then have them screwed into the rotors/hubs, and then screw on normal lugs to them. I don't like this setup, as I've found sometimes the studs only go into the nut a few threads, and more into the hub, or vice versa and I feel this is dangerous.

I don't want to buy the lug bolts from one of the stores, since they're SO expesive (and I need a set of steel and aluminums :cry: ). So, what do people do with this? is there a better way to use studs, or do people but in permanent studs, or I was even contemplating welding, but I really don't want to permanentls change anything...

Just thought I'd ask since the pic is right here...

Thanks!
pastaroni

Post by pastaroni »

Yes those are studs, the type you described as not liking. I too share this belief. Currently I use wheel adapters with permanant studs on them. I dont know of anyone who has installed permanent studs on the OEM parts however. This seems like it would be quite a hassle to setup in my opinion. Right now I have some nifty aluminum wheel hubs with perminant studs waiting in the wings, woo for unsprung weight! These would be a pleasant solution for the front but the rears are a different story. I still havn't come with with a good design for them.

-Jason
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Jason, the wheels I have aren't even close. It's been a long time since I looked at this car. Does anyone know if these are aftermarket or original?
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

i also have a set of those out back. my girlfriends sisterr also has a set on her 73
kapman001

2 of them

Post by kapman001 »

I have two of those that should be available sometime in may if you need