Thermo-Switch Wires (where to they go?) SOLVED

Gotta love that wiring . . .
GDR76SPIDER
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Thermo-Switch Wires (where to they go?) SOLVED

Post by GDR76SPIDER »

Hey guys, just stumbled upon a problem i didn't have earlier.
something must have came disconnected when i removed the gauges to check the wiring for the headlight problem i was looking into earlier this week (i hope thats not the case)

i let the car run till it got up to temp, but noticed the fan was not kicking in this time around, so after turning it off and putting a test light to both wires, the wires to the thermo switch arent getting power anymore....???

when i put the test light to the white/black stripe wire, i hear a relay clicking, but the light on the test light doesn't turn on.

i checked fuses, not sure which it should be? but they all look ok and i pushed the contacts in too in case they were loose.

any tips would be great.

i was wondering if anyone could tell me which wires, if any, i should be looking for under the dash, that connect to the thermo switch.

thanks for any input guys!
Last edited by GDR76SPIDER on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dantye
Your car is a: all gone

Re: Thermo-Switch Wires (where to they go?)

Post by dantye »

GDR76SPIDER wrote:Hey guys, just stumbled upon a problem i didn't have earlier.
something must have came disconnected when i removed the gauges to check the wiring for the headlight problem i was looking into earlier this week (i hope thats not the case)

i let the car run till it got up to temp, but noticed the fan was not kicking in this time around, so after turning it off and putting a test light to both wires, the wires to the thermo switch arent getting power anymore....???

when i put the test light to the white/black stripe wire, i hear a relay clicking, but the light on the test light doesn't turn on.

i checked fuses, not sure which it should be? but they all look ok and i pushed the contacts in too in case they were loose.

any tips would be great.

i was wondering if anyone could tell me which wires, if any, i should be looking for under the dash, that connect to the thermo switch.

thanks for any input guys!
On my '81, as I recall. some of that Thermo-Switch wiring is connected in the same area as the headlight wiring on the driver side inner fender. You might try cleaning those connectors and applying dielectric grease. Sometimes just a little bump will break a corroded connection. I don't know about the general condition of your car, but If you have those black rubber combination M/F wiring connectors and they have never been opened and cleaned up, they can be a bear to separate without breaking something. Gripping them with two pair of long nose pliers for some gentle leverage can help. Occasionally they even need a shot of Blaster followed by an Alcohol clean-up. Good luck!
GDR76SPIDER

Post by GDR76SPIDER »

As for the relay clicking when I put a test light to it, but not having the light turn on when doing this, what could this mean??
dantye
Your car is a: all gone

Post by dantye »

GDR76SPIDER wrote:As for the relay clicking when I put a test light to it, but not having the light turn on when doing this, what could this mean??
Seems that you need to determine WHAT relay, then post all the info you can & maybe a photo? Not sure I can help much more, since my car is FI, not a carb model, with a bunch of relays mounted with the ecu under the glove box, and much of your circuitry may be quite different. Post enough info, and someone will come along who can help.
GDR76SPIDER

Re: Thermo-Switch Wires (where to they go?) SOLVED

Post by GDR76SPIDER »

hey thanks for the replies, it turns out one of the connectors had come loose connecting to the fan.....

funny how its usually something silly when you think its always something more complicated