Old F Turn Signal Retrofit

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Your car is a: 76 124 Spider

Old F Turn Signal Retrofit

Post by 76124 »

I am pulling all my info together to change out the cattle guards to the early style chrome bumpers and want to go with the OEM turn signals. I have not seen any other mods that look as good to my eye.

I have all the parts, but I need to know where to cut the wholes for the lights. Does anyone out there have an early model with the lights pulled out for some reason, who would be willing to make a template of the relationship between the light cutout, grille, and headlight bucket? I would think this edge on these is rolled, rather than a straight cut, but I can't remember from the older models I have owned. Anyone know for sure?

Thank you!
Kraig
Everett, WA
76 Spider owned just shy 30 yrs and counting
69 Spider - Big truck ate it :cry:
74 Sedan special TC Auto..Died of cancer RIP
Ken

Re: Old F Turn Signal Retrofit

Post by Ken »

I put the early 74 parking lights on my car but droped them an inch from original
the original place was just above the blade bumper and just below the headlight.
Ken
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

expect to do some bodywork to make the turn signals fit. The newer cars have different curves than the early cars. retrofitting old bumpers require modifications in the bumper brackets and body ports as the double tube bumpers sit higher than the old school. If it were me, i would acquire a set of junk turn signal housings and cut the bulb recesses away so you can lay the frame flat on the bodywork. then you can slide them around to see if and where you get a good fit before you trash your fender with a sabre saw.
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

Is that a hood scoop I see in the pic?
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
Ken

Post by Ken »

the fender is forgiving enough to form to the housing, the light has a double clamp from the back and yes there is hood scoops in the hood.
Ken

Post by 76124 »

Yep, I am aware of the diff in the bumper mounts. That part doesn't worry me as much as the cutting for the lights. Planning on closing the round holes for the shocks in and then using a template to recut the slots for the bracks mounts.

I don't think the fender was that stiff to make it a problem conforming to the lights? Some massaging may be needed when they are mounted closer to the headlight bucket, but I don't think this is major. Hope I am not wrong..Russ certainly knows more than I do! I also didn't know they changed the body any on the 76 from the earlier cars, at least in this area. Don't think I'll be using a sabre saw either. Ouch! Small cutoff wheel I think will be a little more controllable.

Thanks for all the info.
Kraig
Everett, WA
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

The difference in the bodies are subtle but there none the less. I'm just saying i would make a 3d template (ie an old lamp housing). before i trashed my fenders. The issue is you have a variable radius curve in both directions. Even if the fender is unmodified, the placement is very critical. You could have a major fit issue and only be a 1/4" off. better safe than sorry. I noticed this when i fit my retro bumpers on the car. a 1/2" change in height really changed how the corners fit and looked.

Post by 76124 »

azruss wrote:The difference in the bodies are subtle but there none the less. I'm just saying i would make a 3d template (ie an old lamp housing). before i trashed my fenders. The issue is you have a variable radius curve in both directions. Even if the fender is unmodified, the placement is very critical. You could have a major fit issue and only be a 1/4" off. better safe than sorry. I noticed this when i fit my retro bumpers on the car. a 1/2" change in height really changed how the corners fit and looked.

Thanks for the info Russ, These are the things you don't find out untill your knee deep into it. I have two sets of lights, but neither are candidates to cut up. Anyone have some ugly donors?
Kraig
Everett, WA
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

76124 wrote:... a template of the relationship between the light cutout, grille, and headlight bucket?
I have one. Message me your mailing address.
lvacordian
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider 1800

Post by lvacordian »

How did this turn out? I’m doing the same blade bumper, and turn signal conversion on my 78 spider.