turn signals

Gotta love that wiring . . .
doubleclutch

turn signals

Post by doubleclutch »

I have a '79 Fiat Spider that I bought 1 1/2 years ago. If you listen to Car Talk on National Public Radio, this is the Fiat one of the brothers owned. Initially the turn signals worked OK and, I am pretty sure, the indicator in the speedometer cluster worked when signaling a turn. The turn signals stopped working so I bought a new flasher and installed it and the turn signals work again. The 4-way flasher works. The indicator on the dashboard now does not work. The flasher seems to be installed securely in the white plastic connector. The dash indicator is not much of a problem; I just want to be secure in knowing that the car will not catch fire. You can see from my issue that I am not as mechanically inclined as most owners of a car like this. Details of flasher: old flasher says Wagner flasher 550, 12 volts, use with 14 amp fuse in input lead. Packaging on the new flasher says Tridon Novita EL13, 550 upgrade, variable load and up to 10 lamps. Here's the part that made me concerned: the new one says up to 20 amps. Thanks for any insights.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Re: turn signals

Post by vandor »

It's neat that you have that car!

The car will not catch on fire - at least not because of that :-) Maybe it's a burned out bulb.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Did you buy your replacement flasher from a Fiat part source. I bought one from Auto-zone For my 81 and it didn't work correctly. Bought a second one from a Fiat source and it cured my initial problem of intermittent operation.

The dash indicator not working could be the bulb or connection. However if it worked before the signals stopped working and all you did was replace the flasher I would suspect the new flasher. There are 2 sets of contacts in the Fiat flasher the one that feeds the violet wire is for the signal lights. The one that feeds the light blue/white wire is for the dash indicator.
If you have a 12 volt test light probe the light blue wire terminal of the flasher. If the test light doesn't work either then it's the flasher.
doubleclutch

Post by doubleclutch »

Thank you vandor and spider2081 for your responses.
doubleclutch

Post by doubleclutch »

Today the indicator in the speedometer cluster started working. Maybe there is a wire cracked inside the insulation that started to make contact today. I did buy a generic flasher at Advanced Auto. Thank you for your responses.
doubleclutch

Post by doubleclutch »

Somebody helped me with this one. The replacement part was wider than the original and the replacement part is made of plastic, not metal. The bracket was squeezing the flasher. Inside the flasher is a bimetal that has to move to work. It could not move due to being squeezed. Therefore the turn signals couldn't work. We spread the bracket open a little more and installed the flasher rotated a little so the bimetal would not be squeezed and the signals started working again.
Thanks Vandor and Spider2081 for weighing in on this one previously.