HELP!-Need diagnostic help

Gotta love that wiring . . .
giuliot60
Your car is a: 81 Fiat Turbo removed Spider

HELP!-Need diagnostic help

Post by giuliot60 »

Hi all.

I could use some guidance with an electrical issue.

Back story: Bought my 81 about three weeks ago, it was running fine last week until I decided to reconnect the aftermarket wiper motor the PO installed with a separate connection to the alt (with an inline fuse) and a separate switch. After doing so, I started the car, and tested the wipers and they worked in the high position. I played with some of the after market switch connections and got some variation in wiper speed, but then the car started to stall, stopped running and hasn't started since.

When I turn on the ignition switch, my headlights and my heater blower motor works, but other components like the gas gauge meter, directionals/hazards, radio, and clock don't. All fuses are intact.

I rebuilt the ignition switch a few days ago, replaced all the fuses and cleaned the connections today after reinstalling the ignition, and the car does exactly the same thing.

I have the electrical diagnostics manual from Artigue's site, but I don't know where to start.

Do I test if I'm getting power out of the ignition switch, test for spark/fuel, look for a specific in-line fuse?

Really bummed, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Giulio/Charlotte
1st car '75 pistachio 128 sedan
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
Currently own an '81 Turbo (removed) Spider
giuliot60

Re: HELP!-Need diagnostic help

Post by giuliot60 »

Problem resolved.
But I wanted to document it so that anyone with a similar issue will know how I resolved the electrical/start issue.

Like the manual and others have said, many electrical problems are grounding faults. After doing some reading and diagram studying, I realized that all the components that weren't working were grounded to G3, under the dash by the ignition switch. I just unscrewed it and screwed it in and everything came back and the car started.

After feeling lucky, I decided to remove the push button start the PO installed and rewired it to stock via the rebuilt ignition that I just completed a few days ago, and it's working too!

So, I'm a much happier Spider owner now.
Giulio/Charlotte
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

Excellent!
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Thanks. It's always good when seemingly huge problems get resolved with a simple fix. But I'm humble and prepared for the next one. :)
Giulio/Charlotte
sixcharlie

Post by sixcharlie »

D'oh! G3 Ground. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about that. I must not have thought of it.

I got a lot done on mine yesterday. Just for fun, tonight, I hooked up the batter to see how many lights I could get to turn on and to see if the starter would turn. I saw lights and she did turn. :-)
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

WOW! I'm impressed 6C. Can't wait to go for a ride.
Giulio/Charlotte
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Updated Update:

So it turns out it wasn't the G3 (or at least it wasn't the only culprit). The direct cause of my electrical issue was due to a loose connection on the back of my aftermarket amp meter gauge. A red and black wire going to the back of it, both heavy gauge wires, and the black wire nut was not completely tight. When I giggled it my clock second hand (that's what I use to gauge if my electrical demon is present) moved, then stopped when I moved it again.

I'm glad that's solved, and hopefully this info could help someone else's mystery electrical demon issues :evil: . At least it appears to be. It was terrible not knowing when it would decide to rear its ugly head.
Giulio/Charlotte