Wiring help

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Spiderferg

Wiring help

Post by Spiderferg »

Okay- problems where to start: Things seem to be wired wrong on newly acquired 78 Spider: right turn signal makes the brake, reverse, and turn signal operate all at the same time?

Running lights go on when in reverse....? And other weird things???

How to repair and troubleshoot, any help?

Thanks in advance.

B.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

A wiring schematic is an absolute must when owning a Fiat, but the first rule of thumb is to check the grounds. I don't know how different a 78 is to a 72, but there is a ground at the rear park lamp that may be causing your first problem.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

good advice from Denise, I've seen many cars with chopped wiring because the misdiagnosed the lack of a ground. Poor grounds will cause the lights to feedback thru the other circuits in search of a path to ground. And it's really common on the rear lights
CarlaRWG

Post by CarlaRWG »

Hey since you guys are answering wiring questions, help with mine.
Pulled the thermostat (you can see the seal jammed in it, so I know its bad) and bought the radiator fan switch sensor. There was no sensor/switch on the radiator it was replaced with a bolt! I think the guy ran his own wiring for a manual fan switch that I was wonder what it did, there are wire splices everywhere and "Bruces" wiring diagram leaves alot to be desired.

Any suggestions on where I can order or look up the wiring for the engine compartment for a 1980 Fiat?

Also to all readers PLEASE do not redneck rig your wiring!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

is your car carbed or FI?
CarlaRWG

Post by CarlaRWG »

Sorry, FI
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

fan wiring

Post by spider2081 »

Hi Carla,
If you send me your email address I might be able to send you a wire diagram. For some reason it hasn't worked every time for me.

Voltage for the fan is on the "Hot all the time" circuit. Fuse 10 a 16 amp fuse in the fuse panel connects to a light blue wire. that goes to C5 a 2 pin connector at the fan motor. The black wire on C5 is the motor's switched ground. It goes to C4 another 2 pin connector that mates with the radiator temperature switch. The other black wire in C4 goes to the ground pod on the drivers fender.
Hope this is some help

Dave
Danno

Post by Danno »

sorry, I didn't catch this before. I have the wiring diagrams in pdf form, I just need to upload them to my server. I also have the wiring portion of the service manual in pdf form too.

unfortunately I only have 79-82 diagrams, so i can't help you SpiderFerg. Although I think the manual information itself is 1975-1982, so there might be some useful information in the wiring section of the manual.

I'll post a link in the next couple of days for those who can wait.