Please help. 78 spider turns over with NO key in ignition.

Gotta love that wiring . . .
csandbach

Please help. 78 spider turns over with NO key in ignition.

Post by csandbach »

This is my first post on the forum and i am glad to be on here now. I have searched all around the site and i cant seem to find a answer or solution to my problem. i hope somebody can help me.

I have a 1978 Spider 1800 that i recently built from the ground up. My problem is that when i hook up the battery the car turns over by itself and will not stop until the battery goes dead. I have replaced the starter, ignition, ignition coil, distributor cap and points. I have NO clue what could be wrong. Also when the key is in #2 position the car will stop turning itself over, if i remove the key or place the key in any other position but #2 it will turn over on its own. Has anybody had any problems like this before? I really need some help !
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Please help. 78 spider turns over with NO key in ignition.

Post by spider2081 »

The first thing I would try is to remove the small push-on pull-off red wire on the starter solenoid. If the engine turns over with this wire off and the battery connected, then you have something wrong with the large wire connections on the starter or the starter solenoid is stuck in the engaged position. If you have a volt meter or trouble light you could check the small red wire while it is disconnected from the starter. This wire should only have voltage on it in the start position of the ignition switch.
csandbach

Post by csandbach »

Thank you I will try it and see what happens.
boogiedude
Your car is a: 1978 spider 1800

Post by boogiedude »

I had the same issue when I dropped my engine and after my rebuild. I had the connection for the solenoid and the main post of the starter touching, which effectively bypasses the ignition system and starter solenoid and lets the starter run(AKA hot wiring the starter). Check the connections and make sure you have the little rubber boot over the post on the starter
csandbach

Post by csandbach »

Thank you! This is all very helpful! Today I'm going to make some adjustments.
csandbach

Post by csandbach »

I did what you recommended. i disconeccted the red wire to see what would happen if i hooked up the batter without it. i heard a little pop and small cloud of smoke came from the ignition switch. I also noticed that it had to be the red wire crossing with the other wires on the starter. Now im trying to remove the ignition switch to see what happened.
dantye
Your car is a: all gone

Post by dantye »

If the solenoid is not stuck, I suggest you disconnect the battery and do a lot of circuit and switch checking with an ohm meter before trying to start it again. "Change this and try that" can be a problem with ignition switch and starter circuits, since the high currents involved can really roast wires and possibly other components. depending on the problem. The Artigue electrical diagrams you can find on this board can help.

Good luck.