Ignition Coil

Gotta love that wiring . . .
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: Ignition Coil

Post by manoa matt »

Here is the link to the "bouncy tach fix" just in case http://www.mirafiori.com/faq/content/ta ... achfix.htm
deadmeat

Post by deadmeat »

UPDATE:

I replaced the coil with the accel model. It doesn't quite fit the bracket, so I'm not sure what others of you have done to compensate for the "looseness" of the coil in the old Marelli sized bracket. I bent the bracket a little and wedge something against it to hold the coil tight, but that is not a long term solution. I also replaced the control module.

I gained one significant advantage that I noticed. The car now starts on the first attempt. Previously, it would stall after the first start. After the second start it would run like a top. Now it does so on the first start. As for the Tach, it is stil bouncy, but it moves now. It was almost always pegged to zero before, so I am zeroing in on the problem. I probably will install the fix Manoa Matt mentions above. I also believe I have a voltage problem, based on some weird electrical stuff. Particularly, the radio shuts down when I accelerate while the engine is cold. I will be check the voltage across the battery terminals when the car is running, as soon as I get a chance to verify this.
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

I cut a peice of rubber bicycle tire inner-tube into a strip the same width as the coil bracket and then clamped it between the bracket and the coil body. looks good. call it "anti-vibration"... though I wouldn't believe it. :lol:
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
Razooli
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Razooli »

I bent a piece of aluminum flat stock around the coil, polished it and put a piece of drawer liner in front and back so it would snug down nicely.
Lynn Shuler
1982 Spider 2000
Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.
deadmeat

Post by deadmeat »

Okay, I definitely like that photo. Guess I'm going to have to find some aluminum. Very nice fix. Thanks.
Razooli
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Razooli »

Got it at my local Ace Hardware ...
Lynn Shuler
1982 Spider 2000
Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.
deadmeat

Post by deadmeat »

UPDATE: My bouncing tach is fixed. I had an over-voltage issue and had to replace the alternator (really only needed to replace the voltage regulator, but I couldn't find one locally, and needed a fix fast). Once the new alternator was installed, the bouncing tach returned to normal ops. I'm sure the new coil helped too. :)