Tire question

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
zappi

Tire question

Post by zappi »

Hello everyone. Does anybody have a preffered tire brand and size?
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

I've yet to give up the effort on 13" tires. i have a set of 175-70r13 on my daily driver, and a set of 185r13 on show rims for this car.

i also have a set of 205-60r13 on the other Spider. in my opinion, these are too wide.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I like 195/60/13, but they're getting hard to find
fiater

Post by fiater »

I replaced the stock 165/80/13's with 185/70/13's because they're the same diameter. What an improvement in handling!
fiater

Post by fiater »

Tires have been discussed a lot in the past. If you go to search and type in tires, you'll find some of the discussions.
zappi

Post by zappi »

thanks guys.
fiater

Post by fiater »

the topic of tires has come up several times before. If you do a search you'll find some of the discussions.
cicio

Re: Tire question

Post by cicio »

would you believe I found a local tire company, fasttires it is called . I went in to prepare for getting some new tires for the dry rot ones on the car I purchased recently ,expecting him to say hard tire to find etc. , he looks it up and says he has 185/70/ 13,s in stock T rated. I ask if any rated better he says I do not think so, then he says wait. We can get 185/70/13's in an H rated tire in a day. I believe the brand is Cooper tires and the price was $41 and $61 . I think I am going to try those and keep the stock iron cross wheels. Does anyone know if these are aluminum or magnesium allloy?? PS the tires are rated all-season
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

iron cross wheels are aluminum, a real magnesium wheel is like picking up a potato chip
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

I'm speaking up for the guys on the W I D E side. I have 205/50x15 Kumho Ecstas mounted on 15x7 Team Dynamics Racing wheels.I really like the look of the wider tires on the Spider.I get more comments on that part of my car than any other ,even from other Fiat owners.
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
Curly
Your car is a: 1968 AC Coupe and a 1976 CS1 Spider

Post by Curly »

ga.spyder wrote:I'm speaking up for the guys on the W I D E side. I have 205/50x15 Kumho Ecstas mounted on 15x7 Team Dynamics Racing wheels.I really like the look of the wider tires on the Spider.I get more comments on that part of my car than any other ,even from other Fiat owners.
Craig
Same here, it always looks better to have the wheel arches filled up. :wink: .
205/50/15 on 15x7 Simmons rims on SPYDUH running Yokahama 539 tyres

and 205/60/13 on 13x7 ROH rims on the coupe running Toyo R888 (classic tarmac rally rules restrict us to 13" rims)
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Those are some great pix of your rally car. I have done SCCA and autocross racing ,but rallying always looked like the ultimate in fun! It is not very popular here in the States ,although I think there are a few sanctioned groups.You gotta love a Fiat on 3 wheels.
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
Curly
Your car is a: 1968 AC Coupe and a 1976 CS1 Spider

Post by Curly »

ga.spyder wrote:Those are some great pix of your rally car. I have done SCCA and autocross racing ,but rallying always looked like the ultimate in fun! It is not very popular here in the States ,although I think there are a few sanctioned groups.You gotta love a Fiat on 3 wheels.
Craig
Yes Craig, classic tarmac rallying is tremedous fun, but it's also becomming incredibly expensive. A 3-day event like rally Tasmania is over $3000 to enter and that doesn't include meals, accommodation, fuel or incidentals like a set of tyres (those Toyo R888's are about $270 each). My live-in financial controller therefore restricts my participation to one event per annum. :cry:
You might be interested in this link. It's a bit of in-car footage of the first few kilometres into a Special Stage (some Special Stages run for 30 kms.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiKMjKKfMGg