Bypassing the Brake Compensator?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
KalamazooJohnny
Your car is a: 1976 spider 1977 spider 1965 1100D

Bypassing the Brake Compensator?

Post by KalamazooJohnny »

Has anyone done this, and are there any opinions on if one should or should not do this?
"Get used to people calling it an MG. Hardly anybody recalls Fiats, but people remember MGs because they once saw one on fire." -Corey Farley, Autoweek January 20, 2003
76spider
77spider
65 1100D
TulsaSpider
Your car is a: 1978 Spyder 124 2L

Re: Bypassing the Brake Compensator?

Post by TulsaSpider »

I did it. Used Mark's bypass hose. No issues. I am sure there are some previous threads on here!
1978 Spyder 1800 make that 2L! Finally making real progress!
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

I think the Spider needs some sort of external proportioning between the front and rear brake circuits. If you have the same amount of pressure F/R, the rears will lock up first due to weight transfer. The effect would be particularly pronounced in the wet. Even if you are skillful enough to modulate the pedal, the braking distance would be much longer.

When I redid my brakes, I used a Wilwood proportioning valve, installed near the M/C. I calibrated it to my car and tires on wet and dry roads. There's a "W" and a "D" paint mark on the wheel; the default setting is "D". If I have to put the top up, I try and remember to pop the hood and turn the dial to "W".
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

The valve is there for a reason or the engineers would not have put it there. Besides a new valve is cheaper than the by-pass hose.
boogiedude
Your car is a: 1978 spider 1800

Post by boogiedude »

So is smog equipment, but we all get rid of that too..
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

boogiedude wrote:So is smog equipment, but we all get rid of that too..
The difference here is that locking rear brakes can and will cause the car to skid on wet low friction surfaces. What harm does it do to keep it?

On a front engined car the rear wheels do less than 20% of the braking, if they lock up early and you need to modulate then your stopping distances will be longer.

Removing your likely ineffective 30 year old smog equipment only nukes the gay unborn baby whales so it really has little effect.

I would turn it around and ask: What is the benefit of removing the rear brake pressure compensator? Does someone have documented performance data of the same car with the same tires on the same roadway surface to show the efficacy of making the change?
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
124ADDHE
Your car is a: 1974 Spider Amalgamation with C40 Solex

Post by 124ADDHE »

It will stop a bit better (unless setup perfectly (lots of trials)) in a straight line with the compensator removed, however, if going down a hill or when braking late into a corner, there is a certain risk of losing traction of the rear tires and loss of control - compensator is a great device!
Regards,
Keith Cox
1973 124 Spider
1973 John Deere 500c backhoe
1987 Jaguar VDP
2013 passat tdi
2015 cherokee
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

Last edited by maytag on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

"some of us LIVE for that!!!! "

And some of you will DIE for that! The Fiat is not a good/safe car to wreck, you head is VERY close to the windshield. Been there several times at 16 years old with my first spider, 6 more inches to the left and there would be a tiny cross next to a telephone pole in Kentucky.
maytag

Post by maytag »

I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
Kent124

Post by Kent124 »

manoa matt wrote:The valve is there for a reason or the engineers would not have put it there. Besides a new valve is cheaper than the by-pass hose.
+1.
TronDD
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Post by TronDD »

baltobernie wrote:When I redid my brakes, I used a Wilwood proportioning valve, installed near the M/C. I calibrated it to my car and tires on wet and dry roads. There's a "W" and a "D" paint mark on the wheel; the default setting is "D". If I have to put the top up, I try and remember to pop the hood and turn the dial to "W".
A prop valve that has to be adjusted based on the weather? :?:

Tim.
1979 Fiat 2000
1986 Trabant
1969 Chevelle
2003 Jetta TDI (Daily driver)
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if your car has been lowered and you didn't modify the compensator linkage, it's never going to work. It's very common to find those compensators completely seized, not allowing any rear braking. I've yet to hear one complaint about anyone bypassing the compensator and experiencing rear lockup.
maytag

Post by maytag »

kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

So Cal Mark wrote:if your car has been lowered and you didn't modify the compensator linkage, it's never going to work. It's very common to find those compensators completely seized, not allowing any rear braking. I've yet to hear one complaint about anyone bypassing the compensator and experiencing rear lockup.
Says the man in sunny, it rarely rains in southern California...well most years :D

Mark's point is correct, if you have lowered your car it does need to be readjusted to work in the manner intended.

Completely seized speaks to lack of maintenance which should be performed. I'll stand by my statement: prove removal improves performance. If its better in the driving conditions you use the car in then go for it.

I work with engineers all the time and work at a company where we look very carefully at the cost of our products. I can assure you that if it wasn't really needed, it would not be there. I doubt Fiat was much different then or now.

Personally I don't hold the engineers as the divinity of sacred anything, I also am a very hard driver and have utilized the compensator on tracks, autocrosses and on my daily trek to work on all of my favorite turns. I know what can happen when you get rear lockup be it just lengthening my stopping distances or causing some interesting wagging back and forth.

Nearly all cars have some form of pressure reduction system for the rear brakes, on modern cars the ABS system performs this function.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9