Brake Upgrades

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
81spider

Brake Upgrades

Post by 81spider »

I have an 81 Spider and the brakes are not to good. I have replaced the calibers all around, and it just doesn't seem to be powerfull enough. Does anyone no of a great upgrade?
So Cal Mark

Re: Brake Upgrades

Post by So Cal Mark »

first I'd suggest making sure the system is working properly. Common upgrades are braided steel hoses all around and quality pads. Whoa brakes offers a bolt on system that has gotten good feedback
mbouse

Re: Brake Upgrades

Post by mbouse »

Jim fierst is a good guy, great fiat fan, and has a couple of upgrade kits for the Spider front end. http://www.whoabrakes.com
I know of no one that provides a rear wheel replacement kit for stock Spider brakes.

just a couple of elementary questions, if you will excuse me. i do not mean to offend, but are you sure the lines are full of clean, new fluid all the way around and there are no air bubbles in the lines? are you certain the issues are at the four corners, and the master cylinder is not in need of rebuild/replacement?

when you changed the calipers, did you change to new hoses? old hoses can develope weak walls, and collapse under use, pinching off brake fluid.

you obviously inspected the metal lines from each caliper all the way back to the master cylinder to insure there is no rusted line that is dripping fluid or gobbling air?

when you bled the rear calipers, did you properly support both sides of the rear axle at the same time? if the proper procedure is not followed the compensating valve will not open properly.

when your assistant presses full down on the pedal, can you turn any of the wheels by hand? if so, which corner?