Hand Brake Bolts - Which Is Which

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
jimmycakes401

Hand Brake Bolts - Which Is Which

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Anyone following my build knows I have a giant pile of bolts and I don't know what they are. The previous owner just said "here, have a Fiat, I took it apart. Here's the bolts... in a pile"

So here is my question before I torque these in. Do these look like the correct bolts for the hand brake? They were the only set of three that seemed to fit. Thanks guys!

I'm going to go put the front brakes together while I await your wisdom.

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Hand Brake Bolts - Which Is Which

Post by azruss »

spiders predominantly use 2 sizes of bolts. 8mm (fits a 13mm socket). 95% of the chassis bolts are this size. the rest are dominated by 6mm (10mm socket). until you get to suspension, these 2 have you covered. With that part, i wouldnt worry about a torque setting. get a flat washer and lock washer and snug them down.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Well. By torque, I just meant thread them all the way in. These seem a little tight, but I'm not sure if it is because the handbrake lever wants to push against it, or if its because the holes are so old and decrepit. OR if they are the wrong bolt. LOL. What a pain. The bolts have been out for about ten years.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

those bolts are the most common size on the car: 8mmx1.25. there are a couple of things on the car that use a coarse thread 8mm bolt, but that is very uncommon. make sure you have metric. from your pix, it looks like the right ones. could be your holes are screwed up....rust, etc. grab different bolts out of your collection and see if they work any better. sometimes, just a simple nick in one of the treads can make install an issue. you may need to chase the treads.

jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Thanks! I put a little lube on and they cranked in with ease. The rear brakes and hand brake went with little issue.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

looking good there jimmy
i see a standered screw mounting the heater control
i would find a good set of stainless steel phillips ,keeps rust at bay.joe
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Yeah. LOL. I noticed that after the pict too! I did not put that in there. HA!