Testing a starter motor

Gotta love that wiring . . .
paulw106

Testing a starter motor

Post by paulw106 »

Hi Guys,

I finally managed to get my old starter which has been playing up intermittently off the car this weekend as it appeared to have finally given up the ghost totally and would not even engage the solenoid, however once I got it off the car and tested it by wiring it straight to the battery , it works perfectly i.e. solenoid engages the gear and the motor spins up, I can't see any noticeable play in the gear and there are no unusual noises when the starter is spinning, my question is this, is this a valid test for the starter or would a starter that engages and spins up without issue off the car still be suspect if I put it back on?

Secondly, is the starter circuit fused as all, I had a look in the manual I bought but couldn't see any reference to a fuse in the starter circuit.

Cheers,

Paul
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Re: Testing a starter motor

Post by divace73 »

more than likely your starter is okay and no there isn't a fuse.
Do a search on the brown wire fix and also check the actuall voltage that the starter moter gets. With age all the connections especially the ignition switch start to build a resistance so your starter may end up with much less that 12V.
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
paulw106

Post by paulw106 »

divace73 wrote:more than likely your starter is okay and no there isn't a fuse.
Do a search on the brown wire fix and also check the actuall voltage that the starter moter gets. With age all the connections especially the ignition switch start to build a resistance so your starter may end up with much less that 12V.
Thanks David,

I will check that out this weekend, is there anything in the starter circuit that would cause it to suddenly stop working all together, it's been a bit flaky up till now but this weekend it wouldn't even engage the solenoid where as previously it has just been slow to turn over (and I know it's not the battery as I've just put a new one on and had fully charged it)

Cheers,

Paul
courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by courtenay »

Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU