Amperage draw 1980 124 FI

Gotta love that wiring . . .
cricketland
Your car is a: 1980 spider 2000

Amperage draw 1980 124 FI

Post by cricketland »

Hello,
I have an audio upgrade planned for this spring, I just received confirmation that the 895 watt amplifier I plan to install will draw up to 75A. Does any one know how much amperage a spider draws unto it's self :?:
Thanks
Cricket
bluespider

Re: Amperage draw 1980 124 FI

Post by bluespider »

I believe that the alternator for your FI is rated at 65A. If you assume that that alternator was sized adequately to run the car with most systems on and replace the charge in the battery from starting .... probably not much power left to run a 75A sound system as well. Maybe a nice girl with a great singing voice :wink:
cricketland
Your car is a: 1980 spider 2000

Post by cricketland »

Funny, You must know my beautiful little wife, she sings like an angel, But her amperage draw is typically on me. I believe the optional 95 amp alternators that are available should suffice. I just want to make sure I don't buy a 95 amp alt and find that it is still under powered.
BTW The amplifier was given to me by a ( very good friend) friend along w/ RCA Coaxial wires speaker wires and a fat power cable.. all brand spankin new.
Cricket
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Headlights draw about 8A, wiper motor and heater fan a couple less. Going to be close.

You may know that Fiat placed alternators on both sides of the engine throughout the Spider's production run. Without a smog pump or A/C, you could put that 95A alternator on the vacant side, and a second battery in the trunk to have a dedicated electrical sub-system for your stereo.

I've also heard that there are large Farad-size electrolytic capacitors that are used to fulfill peak audio current demands. Perhaps call Crutchfield?