2L engine re- do almost done!

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
TulsaSpider
Your car is a: 1978 Spyder 124 2L

2L engine re- do almost done!

Post by TulsaSpider »

Hi gang! I have been slowly gathering parts and having machine work done since Nov. I am now almost finished with my projects. I want to thank each one of you who contributes to this awesome forum. Without you none of this would have been possible! Here's a list of what I started with and have done. I had a tired old 1800 but I still had a lot of fun in it. I knew it was time to take the next step and I had a nice big shop to do the work in. The beginning went very slow, waiting for the machine shop and more waiting etc.. Then we had some horrific weather and everything came t a screeching halt!
I had the 2L bored .20, as well as the crank was turned to .20, the rotating assembly was balanced. The flywheel lightened 5 lbs. I replaced the crank pulley with an aluminum unit. Installed 4.5 mm domed pistons. I decided to use the 1800 head. I put all new valves in it and had the valve guides replaced, valve job, the whole works. Port matched the intake, head and exhaust. 34/36 Weber carb. I went with Mark Allison's street cams. New clutch works. I replaced the front seal of the trans just in case. The carrier bearing assembly, hi-per guibo and new U joints. After a few trial and hiccups that are just gonna happen I finally got it where I want it. I still have to install the new master cylinder that I purchased and wire up the electric fuel pump and adjust the clutch and we'll see how much improvement I have! I can't wait!

donor motor, 79 carb's 2L

Pistons in!

each day some progress, that was my motto

mishap with the cam towers, reminder do not let them blast the inside of the bearing surfaces!!!

fresh!

even scored a non-vacuum electronic distributor!

They shipped me two crank seals and when I discovered this I was really scratching my head and pulled it back apart to double check!!

As it sits now! so far so good. I was displeased with the belt/pulley track so I tinkered with that switched the plastic pulleys out for the 2L 's steel ones and it's acceptable I think now. I do want some aluminum ones it's just my budget is shot at the moment!
Well I just thought I would share! Wish me luck!
1978 Spyder 1800 make that 2L! Finally making real progress!
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Re: 2L engine re- do almost done!

Post by narfire »

That looks great. Yea the adjustable cam wheels are nice...perhaps next winter eh. Glad you had the works all balanced, I'm sure you'll notice the difference when the rpms get up there...quickly. Looking forward to the post when you have it broken in and you have a perma-grin on your mug :D
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

Nice work, is a set of twin DCOE's on the cards at all???
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
TulsaSpider

Post by TulsaSpider »

Hmm well not in the foreseeable future anyways. I am taking donations! LOL
lanciahf

Post by lanciahf »

Nice looking motor. I would try to vent the oil breather tuber to the Air cleaner as you might start smelling the fumes as you drive around.
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

lanciahf wrote:Nice looking motor. I would try to vent the oil breather tuber to the Air cleaner as you might start smelling the fumes as you drive around.
This is exactly the scenario I had. I vented it the same way you see in the photos above (great minds, eh Tulsa? :lol: ) and I discovered that the fumes are very prolific.

I am debating plumbing it to the exhaust with a valve there, the way the stock-car and NHRA guys used to do it. waddyall think?
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
TulsaSpider

Post by TulsaSpider »

Well it looks like the rear main seal is leaking.... any chance this will clear up on it's own? :(