What is this wire?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Redline
Your car is a: formerly a 1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

What is this wire?

Post by Redline »

Can anyone identify this wire? I'm talking about the thick red/black power lead. It comes out of a Y, with part going up to the dash, the other part goes via what looks like an in-line fuse to the ignition switch. The free end is about 40cm long and ends in that generic screw connector (i.e. not hooked to anything). Has this been spliced in by a previous owner to run a stereo, or is this normal OE wiring, and what's it for?

http://www.124bc.com
La Dolce Vita: Joy and frustration at the speed of smoke
digitech
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Re: What is this wire?

Post by digitech »

Not familiar with your year but it looks to me like an add-on. Love the door panels!
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

Definitely an add on. Hard to say what they needed if for but it is not OE. The dealer may have added it for a stereo or other accessory. It is pretty heavy gauge.

Unless you have a need for it, I would remove it. Keep the wire, you never know when you will need a good wire with some proper colors on it.

Sp pit of curiosity, what are you up to?
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Only way to know for sure it to trace the wire to its ends. If its not hooked up to anything then it can be removed.
Redline
Your car is a: formerly a 1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

Post by Redline »

kmead wrote:So out of curiosity, what are you up to?
Oh, just mucking about. :wink:

Seats split their fabric, so they are out and I am getting a quote for a set of BF-Torino buckets in matching fabric (with headrests). Much as I love the period look of the low-backs, as someone in the orthopaedic field I am too aware of the risk from even a small hit. I justify it with the knowledge that the BC Coupes had headrests in other markets.

Like these, but with cloth or cord inserts:

However, once I get the price quote I still need to go past the local Swiss DMV to make sure they will approve them.

I'm generally cleaning up the console and carpet and have a few things to sort in the dash (broken clock adjusting pin and I need to install the wiper rheostat that a kind forum member sent me).

When the winter's over, it's booked in for new control arms & bushings, dampers and hopefully then (Swiss DMV approval pending) I can run the 7x13 CD66s that are tucked up in the cellar. (But I'll keep the original wheels for when the mood strikes me to be "elegant").

Then I'm done.

I think.
http://www.124bc.com
La Dolce Vita: Joy and frustration at the speed of smoke