lowering my spider

General chat about the car goes in here.
120 volts

lowering my spider

Post by 120 volts »

I am thinking of lowering my spider down about two inches and I am not sure about how to go about it. Has anyone here lowered their spider down and if so how? I have heard about cutting the springs but not sure if I want to go that route.
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

Honestly, two inches may be too much. Look under the front of your spider and see how many inches are between the oilpan and the ground as it sits now. It is not that far off of the ground stock.

However, if you are going to lower, I suggest real lowering springs. International Auto has some that look very nice. Bruce at the Bin has some PROGRESSIVE lowering springs that lower the car and still give a decent ride.

If you are going to install new springs, especially lowered ones, you might as well look into new shocks too.. the rears are encased inside the spring and both the springs shocks need to come out to do any work to either.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I've lowered several spiders by cutting springs and have been happy with the results. Cutting one coil from the rear and either one or two coils from the front has worked just fine. The option on the front really depends on how low you want the car. Cutting one coil will leave the car pretty level, while cutting two from the front will give it a slightly nose down look.
There have been several threads about how installing lowering springs actually raised the car
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

lowering springs only raise the car if its an early car. since later cars ride higher due to later bumper height laws. we found that out on chrises 68. im going to lower my 70 by installing a later rear end and maybe cutting one coil off the front.
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Ever consider custom wound springs? That's what I've got on my '78. I was able to get the height and the rate that I wanted without the guesswork. It cost a bit more $ to do but worked great.

If you want a cheap way of obtaining a look and you aren't too concerned about proper handling, then cutting the coil is just fine. Keep in mind that this increases the spring rate and it can compromise your car's handling. This is not the best choice but it seems to be a widely accepted choice, not just with Fiats.

Why don't you just buy a proper set of lowering springs, are really they that expensive?
bandit

Post by bandit »

hey Joe

I was wondering if you could tell me as well where to buy a good side draft manifold I am going to be using 45s any help would be great ...