New to me 1979 spider 2000

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
rmalicki

New to me 1979 spider 2000

Post by rmalicki »

Hey all,
I'm new to the Fiat although I'm not new to Pininfarina in my opinion the greatest car designer of all time. I've always tried to find a way to get one of his Ferrari's but as we all know it take serious cash. I was doing research and stumbled on the Fiats. I've scene them and thought they were cool but never really thought about them. Any ways long story short i bought one two days ago.
I got it for $2000k and overall its in good shape and i've already driven 350 miles with zero issues besides the front end which needs new suspension parts ill be getting next week. I've spent years restoring vehicles from 1932 fords to 1982 shark corvette to everything in between. I love sports cars and i like them with character and needing work to become great...tinker toys that i can drive too.
I'm so excited i can barely sleep the last few nights. Like i said i'm new to the fiat and am doing all kinds of research. So i joined this site hoping to meet great people that are as or more excited about these sweet little works or rolling art. If anyone has good websites for research, tips, trick, or any information it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a few plans for her i'll throw out for comments:
Paint:
-I'm looking at painting her pearl white with a temperature changing paint that turns the pearl white red when its under 86 degrees, and i'm doing the abarth flat black down the center...SO in the heat she will be black and pearl white and in the winter or cold days she'll be red and black...and i'm doing some ghost graphics under the color change red that you only see with the white...any ideas on custom airbrush graphics would be great.
Wheels:
I'm placing some 18" 215x35 custom black with one inch aluminum lips...they are only about an inch taller overall and don't look gangster...they look more rally...
I want to keep the car looking as original as possible as it does have great looks...I want to just give it a little of my own character...So any criticism or idea i will love to hear...As i said i love the style and the designer is the worlds best designer so i want to keep it clean and very original.
Thanks in advance Ryan
azygoustoyou

Re: New to me 1979 spider 2000

Post by azygoustoyou »

sounds great Ryan and welcome to the site. There are a lot a really nice people here on the Forum. Also with tons of experience. That would be cool to see a car change color with temperature. Have you painted before? What kind of paint does that? I know what you mean by being excited. I haven't really had my car on the road but three miles and it's been over a year. I'm really itching to get it out. Hopefully this summer. Good Luck and looking forward to see pic's of your car as you proceed customizing it. :P
SpiderJim

Post by SpiderJim »

Hi Ryan welcome. Your paint idea sounds cool. Last week I painted my 81 White Frost with a gold angel pearl. It took me a few days to get used to pearl on a small car but now I like it. In fact the more I put it back together the better it looks. My only input would be not to go to overboard with the paint. The spider is at its best when just finished to a high quality and looking sporty and elegant. Let me know if I can help.

JIm
rmalicki

Post by rmalicki »

I'm not sure the name of the color change paint but i'll find out and post it for you. Yep i sure have painted before but i'm still very much learning howunder the supervision and careful eye of my good friend that owns a mobile detailing buisnes and custom painting to include air brush graphics. So i'm in good hands. The color change paint is $90 a quart and i'm told it will be two quarts as long as we do a good base coat under and a few clear coats over the top. It will be getting painted end of june of july as the body needs some attention first.
I agree going over board will not do the design justice so i'm going with what seem to be color schemes used in the abarth versions. The pearl will be the most subtle pearl we can use. I want her to look classy and classic. Is your car the white i've seen on this site that has the new rota rims. If so that car is looking amazing and i hope to see her in person one day soon.
SpiderJim

Post by SpiderJim »

Yes the whit frost pearl with gun metal rotas is my latest restoration and should be ready to do the interior next week and finish off the trim bits when I cut and buff it out this week... And thanks for the compliment