The new hight torque starter not fully engaging.

Gotta love that wiring . . .
HAWKER
Your car is a: 1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000

The new hight torque starter not fully engaging.

Post by HAWKER »

Does anyone have any ideas as to why a newly installed new high torque starter will not engage fully, when energized the starter only chips away at the flywheel. It seems the solenoid will not extend the drive gear enough or the drive gear and the flywheel gears are not made for each other. I am using a start/charge cart for my start attempts as my battery is dead. I have selected 12v/50am start. It is starting to snow and she has not been out all summer!
So Cal Mark

Re: The new hight torque starter not fully engaging.

Post by So Cal Mark »

50amps isn't enough for a starter
HAWKER

Post by HAWKER »

Would low amperage not allow the starter gear to engage? I thought the amperage requirement of 60amp battery was for cranking power requirement. If I just need more amperage to get the starter to engage, that would be sweet. I was hung up on thinking that 50 amps was plenty to rotate the engine, just to see if the my new starter worked. I have yet to hook up the fuel line to the rail. I wanted to pump all the old fuel out and start with new fuel as the injectors have just been cleaned.
I will charge the battery or get a new one and see if she engages. I will try to post a pic of the new starter and maybe I have it mounted wrong as a possibility.....
Thanks for your imput Mark.....
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

most starters use over 100amps when cranking under load. A minimum load test on a battery would be 150amps. I haven't done a draw test yet on one of the high torque starters so I can't quote a spec for that particular starter but I can't imagine it would be much different than any other starter. I'm installing a unit in a Spider on Monday so I'll post some test results once I'm done
HAWKER

Post by HAWKER »

I have been doing some reading... a dangerous thing....for me... anyway, the operating manual for my battery chargeing cart was in moth balls, I dug it out and as I labored through the text in multible languages... It stated that you should never use a charging cart to start your car without the battery installed... interesting. Furthermore, it said that it could cause damage to the electical system if you use the cart independent of the battery to attempt a start. Well, I used the cart direct with the battery out of the car. Prior to this knowledge, I selected the start mode of 12v/50amps with just the positve clamp on the positive cable and the negative to the ground cable. This is the config. that caused my new hight torque starter to chip away at the flywheel at, as I think about it at a relatively slow speed. Mark has made me think hard as to the lack of adequate amerage. I only had 50 amps on this cart effort. If I add the battery in line I should have 100 plus amps for the effort. Hopefully the word will get around not to use a charger to start your car with out also including your battery in the flow. I am hopeful that the system is ok as I have recharged my battery for an battery only attempt for start or at least rotation. and if it still appears weak, I will add the charger at the 12v/50amp boost. There is another selection of 12v/125amp for start which is tempting but scarey. I will give a full report and I am dreaming of not pulling out this starter. Even thought this new type starter is half the weight and size of the old one. Thanks for your help guys, I know you understand my frustration. Interestingly enough, when you buy a battery, it states the amperage capability on the battery. My current battery states 65 amp on the top. My maintenace manual recommends a 60 amp battery. Electricity, is almost everybodys weak suit....
HAWKER

Post by HAWKER »

Well guys, I got her to work. I was using a charger cart straight to the battery cables. The battery was not installed. I charged and installed my battery and it spun and engaged the new high torque starter well. The owners manual for the charge cart said not to bypass the battery as this could cause damage to the electrical system.... Well this was a simple fix and a little embarassing as I guess I was locked out on the charge cart being an adequate subsitute for a good battery. I am now in the process of draining all the old fuel, and changing out the filter as it has been setting for a year and a half.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

congratulations! and you learned a little something along the way
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

dontcha just hate those learning "opportunities"?? :mrgreen: