Distributor lobes contacted pickup sensor

Gotta love that wiring . . .
fuelmover

Distributor lobes contacted pickup sensor

Post by fuelmover »

Unfortunately during my first dealings with the distributor pickup sensor, I have created another problem.
I removed the sensor to wrap electrical tape around degrading wire insulation which I believe was creating my rough idle/tach jumping problem.
When reinstalling pickup, I didn't know that the pickup mounting plate is adjustable for distance to the lobes on the distributor. I inadvertently installed the pickup with all clearance taken up, and when trying to start the engine I ended up shaving a bit of metal off the lobes and maybe the pickup.
I plan on replacing the pickup.
Question: Can I just dress up the lobes on the distributor and then install the new pickup (with correct gap)?
I think I read on the forum, that the gap is supposed to be .6 to .9mm?
First time on the forum - thanks in advance.
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Re: Distributor lobes contacted pickup sensor

Post by narfire »

I found,depending on how far you drive,the lobes wore down the magnetic pickup. I had the plate the pickup sits on, tilt forward and contact the lobes,causing the intermittent/runs like poo syndrome.The bushings had wore out,one can rebuild but mine was too far gone and had worn the shaft of the dist. as well.
It does not take much to make contact. If you dress the lobes, how would you make them the same size without dial indicators,good eyes ect. Try just replacing the mag pickup and gap. See how that works.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box