wiring mess

Gotta love that wiring . . .
CrAzY RuSSian

wiring mess

Post by CrAzY RuSSian »

I just got my first car and it is 1979 fiat 2000 spider pinifarina. I love it, but i have some electrical issues :cry: . the blinkers dont work when the hazard flasher is pluged in. but if the flasher is pluged in engine will not shut off (i have to unplug the flasher) and the cooling fan does not turn on.
:evil:
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Congrats on your first car. You are quite the adventursome individual to have chosen a Fiat as your first auto.

The #1 thing a Fiat owner learns about auto maintenance is that the Italians may have had a hand in the invention of uses for electricity, but they never perfected the direction and never mastered control.

Fiat wiring is the most typical maintenance issue. Check all ground wires, starting at the battery, and the transmission. I would suggest adding a large ground wire between the engine block and a fender wall.

Then, with each circuit that seems to be affected, check the ground wires. Trace your wiring circuit 'til it reaches ground, then disassemble that grounding pad, clean all of the connections and reassemble. Repeat this with every circuit in close proximity. Wiring can be tricky to diagnose, as it does not always follow immediate logic when attempting to find a ground.

Always disconnect at least the negative battery terminal when working on your wiring, before you work on the wiring.

The most common electrical issue I have heard deals with the tail light assembly because there are so many circuits in such close proximity..brakes..hazard..turn..tail..backup all follow the same harness, and use the same grounds. Clean the bulb sockets first, then the connections at the tail light assembly, then the grounds where ever you find them.

Unfortunately, it also sounds like someone has tinkered with the wiring inside the radio console. This is also a typical PO issue (PO = previous owner). You're gonna have to get yourself a wiring diagram and start becoming familiar with your auto. Most diagrams are available online.

Send me an email to mbouse@sturgistool.com and I will send you what I have available here on my office computer. Just say 'fiat wiring' in the subject, and I will remember what to send you.

As far as the cooling fan, are you sure the engine coolant was hot enough to make the fan come on? It generally takes quite a bit of heat to get that fan to kick in, even when it is operating correctly. What was your temp reading when you thought it should have been running?

Best of luck. Buy some maintenance books from our favorite vendors. Fiats are great to look at, and fun to drive. They require some work to keep them road worthy.
CrAzY RuSSian

Post by CrAzY RuSSian »

i just find out that the problem is in the temperature swith on the bottom of the radiator, and i ordered one. in the next few days i will work on cleaning the grounds.