Ignition switch stuck

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jferrara

Ignition switch stuck

Post by jferrara »

After driving for about 2 hours with no problems on a hot day, I parked and let the car sit for about 20 mins. I then got back in the car and after putting the key in the ignition switch was not able to turn the key at all. The steering wheel locked up on me as well. I let the car sit for about 30 more mins more and tried it again, this time the key turned just fine and the car started perfectly.

After it started this time I drove it for about 20 mins with no problems, parked and once again about 10 mins later encountered the same "stuck" ignition switch issue.

If any one can provide insight as to why this is happening it would be very very helpful!! Thanks.
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Re: Ignition switch stuck

Post by kilrwail »

If it happens again, turn the steering wheel in the only direction it is willing to move - just a bit - and this should release the locking mechanism and enable you to turn the key.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

yes, this is a mechanical issue associated with the steering wheel lock on the ignition switch. just give the wheel a tug this way or that while gently turning the key. Don't force the key or it will snap off in the ignition.

which reminds me of a story ... the day after we bought the '78, the wife and i were at the local mall with the car. as we got ready to leave, i stuck a key in the ignition and attempted to start the car... no luck turning the key. I gave the wheel a tug this way and that, no turning the key. I pulled the key out and stared at it..attempting to will it to work! stuck it back in the ignition and tried again, no luck.

then i realized..

i had key rings for both the '78 and the '80 in my pocket that day. swap keys, and no more troubles! :mrgreen:
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Another possibility is that as the key is wearing out and it does not fit well anymore.
I have had this with aftermarket US-made keys. Another reason to always have a spare key...

Csaba
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town