Dizzy change

Gotta love that wiring . . .
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Dizzy change

Post by narfire »

I believe I have just bought a 72 spider(date of manufacture 11-71). It was the one Launie had posted a few days ago about buying a few parts or the whole car.I believe it was on the way to the crusher,could'nt let that happen. For the price I figured what the ell. It's gonna cost more to get here than the purchase price.
Anyway,question, I noticed in a picture of Denise's 72, she has the dist. from a 79 or newer,saw the white wire comming out of it . Is it an easy swap as I have spare for my 80 that I could use? I also have spare alt. coils ect as well, scavanged from my 2 parts cars, a 79 and 81.
The points and other bits I'm not yet comfortable with, but the dist. in my 80 is a snap.
Getting excited about another project,but this one will be kept stock I think.
Gonna tell the missus tomorow,after I buy her an expensive pair of sunglasses she wanted for her birthday.(with taxes likely more than the car)
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: Dizzy change

Post by manoa matt »

Yep, easy swap. Remove the plugs and turn the engine over until all timing marks are lined up and #1 & #4 are at top dead center. Remove the old distributor. Take the cap off the electronic dizzy and line the rotor up with the #4 contact in the cap. There is a casting mark on the side of the dizzy that helps. Drop it in and hook up a timing light. Set to 10 deg. or tune it by ear.

Make sure you have a good control module and pickup wire (the white one) The pickup gap should be .5-.6mm and the stripe on the magnet facing down. If the pickup wires inside the dizzy are long put a twist in them before you install the hold down screw. The wires should not get caught up or brushed against by the dizzy lobe.

The finned aluminum heat sink is grounded to the fender (clean bare metal touching clean bare meal, or run a wire from the mount screw to the ground pod on the fender)
narfire

Post by narfire »

Thanks Matt, I've re & re my dist. on the side of the road (my 80) and I'm now down to about 5 minutes to change and time.
This should(touch wood) be an easy swap then. I havn't seen the car up close yet and it's been 30+ years from the 70 I had as a kid,but I guess there is a vacume line from the intake manifold that will attatch to the vacume advance on the dist.
Thnx
Chris
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2018 F350 crew long box
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

just a thought...manifold vacuum might be too much for that dizzy
narfire

Post by narfire »

Yea,not sure as it is conected to the intake plenum with the FI.
Anyway I have to get the car home somehow.
Gonna order some parts like belts and flexdisks brake lines and a water pump before I get too far.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2018 F350 crew long box