Flexible coupling removal.

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
NJFIAT1981
Your car is a: 1970 SPIDER AND A 1976 SPIDER

Flexible coupling removal.

Post by NJFIAT1981 »

I'm removing the drive shaft on my parts car and my shop manual advised to use a band on my flexible coupling. Any idea how to proceed since I don't have a band or tool? Is it necessary? Thanks, George
racydave

Re: Flexible coupling removal.

Post by racydave »

Duct tape?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the band makes installation easier since it keeps the holes aligned. If you don't have a clamp, just remove it.
lanciahf

Post by lanciahf »

An alternative is to use one very large hose clamp, think dryer duct size. The hose clamp or band is to compress the rubber flexible coupling when removing it from the tranny.
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

I've never messed with the clamps. You don't need them. The rubber donut is made such that the 6 holes are slightly outboard of the mating holes in the tranny yoke and drive shaft yoke, so if you want the bolts to slip out easily you just need to wedge a large screwdriver or something to push the rubber donut inward towards its center when you are removing or installing each bolt.

Alvon
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Unless you have firsthand knowledge of the couplings age, you might as well replace it. Appearances are deceiving with rubber parts, and failure of this $15 part is catastrophic. New ones come with a metal band which you cut off and remove before driving.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

wasn't the band used during disassembly in case the guibo was to be reused?
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

When I bought my new one last year, it came with a band on it. Thanks to Denise I remembered to remove it after the installation.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
NJFIAT1981
Your car is a: 1970 SPIDER AND A 1976 SPIDER

Post by NJFIAT1981 »

Thanks guys. I'm going to deep six the coupling. I'm taking the trans and engine out and would replace the coupling with a new one when I use the trans. Just wanted to make sure I didn't cause any damage to me or the trans. I have heard that when this coupling fails it causes major damage. Thanks again for the info. George
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Post by SpiderGuy »

Has anyone ever found a source for the (Giubo- aka- Coupler) Compressor Tool as shown in the Service Manuals?
Fiat Part #A.70025 or Kent-Moore #J28087
I did a google search and was not able to find either one.
I need to replace the Drive Shaft Center Pillow Block and Bearing because it is completely broken and the Drive Shaft is flopping loose.

18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I've never seen the tool for sale, but on the other hand, I've never needed it. The guibo always seemed to eventually fit into position, admittedly with some occasional swearing.

I suppose you could use a large worm-screw band clamp instead. Also, new guibos usually come with a metal band around them, and you cut off the band once you've installed the guibo (use care as that band could do some damage if your face was in the way when it let loose). So, if you're going to replace the pillow block and bearing, I'd just put a new guibo in.

-Bryan
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

Good Advice Bryan, thanks, I'll order a new Flex coupling from Mid-West Bayless for only $31 and might as well put in new U-Joints while I have it apart.
-Keith

I got the new Air Filter and Fuel Filter installed yesterday in preparation of eventually trying to get the old (Craigslist Found) Spider Fired Up again.
The rubber mounting supports for both the Fuel Pump and the Filter were broken and they were both just dangling from the Fuel Lines.
I removed the broken rubber mounts and just mounted them solid for now.

SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

This a-gizzamo here, she's a-broken, gonna need A-Tony To Fix It Again

https://i.imgur.com/SZ4cjdz.mp4 (click This Link for Video)

18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Man, that pillow block is, shall we say, a-roached... :shock:

By the way, on the flex coupling, there are 3 long bolts and 3 slightly shorter bolts, and each set goes in from a different direction. That is, 3 have the heads facing the front of the car and 3 have the heads facing the rear of the car. Make note of which way they come out. You can figure this out after the fact, but basically the two sets of bolts/nuts are arranged so that nothing hits the end of the transmission as the coupling spins.

-Bryan
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:Man, that pillow block is, shall we say, a-roached... :shock:
yeah buddy can you believe they were driving it like that! musta really a been going whompidy clompity Bump Bang

Ill take note of the bolt orientation like you said
-Keith