Surging current

Gotta love that wiring . . .
snownsand

Surging current

Post by snownsand »

Hi all,
I've been lurking on this site since my '78 spider was handed down to me from mom (original owner) a few years back. So far I've been able to search whenever problems came up and haven't had to post, but this one has me stumped. While driving the power will occasionally "surge". Headlights get nice and bright, heater motor speeds up, even the windshield wipers start to move at a decent speed. I wouldn't complain and would even hope that the situation becomes permanent, those bright headlights sure are nice, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the alternator is putting out too much voltage and possibly starting to cook stuff. I've tried to recreat the problem in my driveway but haven't been able to. Electrical problems are definetly my weak spot so what do you think? I'm leaning towards voltage regulator but I hate to guess and replace, then guess and replace, then do it again, and again.
My Spider - '78, completly stock except HC pistons when I rebuilt 6,000 miles ago. Marelli alternator and all the cool CA smog stuff intact and basically functionaing.
Thanks in advance, Steve
racydave

Re: Surging current

Post by racydave »

You can hook up a voltage meter to any elec source for a test drive to confirm your suspicions. Guessing gets pricey! Always do the little things first, clean connections, esp at the battery. Go over the grounds, add a groundstrap from the engine to the chassis also. Inspect the connections just inches from the ignition switch for sure! Check and clean the connections at the starter and alternator. Good Luck!!!
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

You can also take it to a professional that rebuilds alternators and starters and have them check it for free.
snownsand

Post by snownsand »

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot that a few months ago it wouldn't turn over unless I squeezed the wires going into the ignition switch. Happened maybe three non-consecutive times then never again so it just kind of slipped my mind. Ground strap has been added between block & engine compartment but I'll go through the starter and alternator connections and all the grounds.
I'm not sure who around here can check alternators, I'm kind of living in the boonies but there is a Kragen about an hour away. Possibly they can.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Use a precision "small" slotted screw driver or similar probe to release the tang that holds the male and female electrical connectors in the plastic connector block at the ignition switch. Clean those connections and make sure the female end will firmly grasp the male end, you may need to squish the female end a bit.
snownsand

Post by snownsand »

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a try after work tonight.