Ignition switch

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Ignition switch

Post by ga.spyder »

I have a minor annoyance on my car that is becoming a little more serious.The car has a aftermarket ign. switch,and it is ''cobbled'' in.None of the wire colors off the switch correspond with the wires in the harness.Also,Ron Luxmore determined after seeing some pics,my fuel pump is direct wired.The relay is bypassed.I have on occasion gone to start the car and it wont turn over.Just a click from behind the glovebox.The fuel pump runs ,oil light on ,batt light on... a few clicks of the key and it fires right up.Yesterday after a hard run to try out my new suspension and brakes(awesome ride),I stopped at a friends shop.Went to leave,and it wouldt start.Turned the key off and on,and even held it in the start pos.Nuttin! After a few minutes suddenly,she starts and off I go.Got it home ,and it is starting fine?? Should I look into a new switch,pref. a Fiat part, or do you think it could be something else? I am worried that it will fail and leave me stranded. The harness and conn. were not hot,and jiggling the wires did nothing.Any suggestions,as always,are greatly appreciated.
Craig
ps...I was on the phone with Denise just before the problems occured.Curse of the ''little bumpers'' or payback for kidnapping her bear? :shock:
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: Ignition switch

Post by manoa matt »

Aftermarket as in non fiat, or non original equipment manufacturer? The first thing I would do is get the right colored wires hooked up to where they are supposed to go. Then trace those wires all the way to their destinations to make sure they are routed to the right places.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

no crank when hot could be a starter/solenoid problem. You'll need to attach a voltmeter to the starter terminals and check it when the no crank situation occurs to determine if it's a switch or starter problem. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight first and that the ground strap is good
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Matt,I dont know about the non OEM but it isnt the Fiat switch.I have the original in the parts box and the p/o told me he had replaced with an aftermarket switch.He said the original would stick in start pos.I dont think it is OEM,because of the wires not matching.They ar going to the right places though,as everything works as it should,except the fuel pump.When the key is on,so is the pump.Ron L. guided me thru trying to correct that,but cant be done with this switch.The p/o did leave all the conn.so if I could find a Fiat switch it could be put back.
Mark, it doesnt seem to matter if it is hot or cold.When it takes a mind to do it ...it does! I have pulled all the starter wire and cleaned,tightened,and put dieletric grease on all connections.I have had this issue for 2 years(since I got the car),but Thurs. is the first time a couple clicks didnt start it. It can go for weeks w/o doing it. Next time I will check to make sure it is getting power to the starter.
Anyone out there with a good late model switch?
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

The click behind the glove box you're hearing is the dual relay, which would be normal as it snaps into contact. I think Mark is on the right track. It sounds like the solenoid is not kicking in when it gets the signal from the red wire from the ignition. To be sure you'd have to have a tester on the connection at the solenoid when it happens. That's going to be tough because it's so intermittent.
If you could catch it when it's happening, it would be easier to check the red wire off the ignition switch to be sure it's sending power to the solenoid when it's in "start" position. No power: ignition switch. Power: solenoid. If you heard a click at the starter but no cranking it would be the starter. Assuming, as Mark said, you have a good engine to body ground.
Good luck buddy,
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.