reversed upper A-arms?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

reversed upper A-arms?

Post by baltobernie »

Had my '73 Spider over at a buddy's house/shop last week for the beginnings of Winter project.

Completely removed front suspension; A-arms, springs, shocks, sway bar, disconnected tie rods. Replaced lower arms with new, rebuilt uppers with bushings alone. Omitted washer-type shims on reassembly amounting to one or two tenths on each side, as shops like to use U-shaped shims for easy removal. Installed new shocks. Repacked and adjusted wheel bearings.

Car would barely stay on the driveway, let alone the highway home. Bump-steer incredible. Made it to the garage down the street for a pre-arranged alignment appointment. This shop has good equipment and good people, and has successfully worked on all my cars over the last 20 years, including an alignment on the Spider when first purchased.

Get a call from them saying "we can't get this even close; we are inches out of caster spec. As most of you know, alignment is typically a matter of eighths and sixteenths - no wonder I couldn't drive it! Mechanic noticed new lowers and suggested that maybe supplier shipped wrong part, although sway bar studs were perfectly located. "Maybe they used different ones for coupe and roadster?" he guessed. I measured distances between dogbone bushings and ball joint of new vs. old, and as best as I can determine, they are identical.

What can explain this? Is it even possible to reverse the upper A-arms left-to-right? If we had bent them during bushing removal/install, they wouldn't have mounted up at all. Not my first screw-up in this restoration, but the new leader in the embarrasment category. :oops:
So Cal Mark

Re: reversed upper A-arms?

Post by So Cal Mark »

yes you can reverse the upper arms and that would put caster WAY out of range
Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

Post by Tappy »

...but the new leader in the embarrasment category.
jouhouw , that means i'm off nr1 then :)
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by baltobernie »

Yes you are, Tappy, but now that Winter is here, others will be a-wrenchin' in earnest. Soon I'll be able to hand the crown to somebody else, I'm sure.

Remember guys, burns and bruises are OK, but for goodness sake, don't whack your wife's car with the jack handle!
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by baltobernie »

Success! And it wasn't that we reversed the upper A-arms. During the job, John and I often each worked on different parts of the car. Instead of rebuilding my upper right, he replaced it with one from his inventory. Note to all: just because a part has an "R" inscribed with yellow paint marking pen, doesn't necessarily make it "Right"! Two left control arms on the same car equals exciting handling.

After correcting, the alignment shop was able to get all specs within factory allowances. I also picked up an 1800 intake and a few other parts to begin my Winter engine rebuild. While other juveniles will be eagerly awaiting December 25, I'm counting the days to January 3.

ps: curved side of upper A-arms goes to the front :?
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

That's great to hear, Bernie! Now, what's going on January 3rd?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by baltobernie »

Home from holiday travel and obligations and into the garage!

Hey MIke, thanks for the loan of Guy Crofts video. Good info for the job ahead. I owe you some cold beverages in Philly (or Winston-Salem, or Pittsburgh, or, Hey, gonna be a busy year!).