vent window latch removal

General chat about the car goes in here.
garycrd
Your car is a: 1982 spider

vent window latch removal

Post by garycrd »

Anyone have suggestions on removing the glued on vent/wing window latch.
I have not been able to open it for the 20 years I've owned this car.
Seems it was glued on in the lock position and need to remove it and rotate to glue it back on.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: vent window latch removal

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Good question. Maybe soak a cotton ball in acetone and wrap it around the latch, so the acetone slowly works into the glue bond and loosens it? Add more acetone to the cotton as necessary? I'd use caution as acetone (or other solvents) could damage the vinyl door panels if it gets on them.

-Bryan
gschwab
Your car is a: Fiat 124 Spider CS2 1979 California

Post by gschwab »

Can you move the lever at all? Lift it up slightly and turn it, even if it is the wrong way? I think there is a pin in the lever you could possibly drive out to remove it, but that would still leave the part that's glued to the glass in place. Interesting problem to have, mine keeps falling off, even having it glued professionally...
garycrd

Post by garycrd »

Yes, tried removing pin to relocate latch but the post it mounts on has a stop cut in to locate the pin. It only fits one way.
I didn't know what the issue was in not opening all these years and recently saw a post about installing one and to make sure it was glued on in the unlocked position. Tha appears to be the issue. If I can remove the mount post and turn it and reglue it, it would work.
garycrd

Post by garycrd »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:11 pm Good question. Maybe soak a cotton ball in acetone and wrap it around the latch, so the acetone slowly works into the glue bond and loosens it? Add more acetone to the cotton as necessary? I'd use caution as acetone (or other solvents) could damage the vinyl door panels if it gets on them.

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan, thought of that; might try it.

G.