Pininfarina Battery Size

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
priesterd
Your car is a: 81 Fiat Spider

Pininfarina Battery Size

Post by priesterd »

Does anyone know the correct size battery for the 83-85 Pininfarina Spider where it mounts on the side of the trunk? (Rather than the front of the trunk as earlier Spiders do).
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Pininfarina Battery Size

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Wow, that question is a lot harder to answer than it should be. Even the owner's manual for a 1984 Azzurra Spider doesn't list the battery size.... But, I found one reference that an AutoCraft 86-2 battery will fit. Not sure if it's the right battery, but apparently it works.

-Bryan
F16Waldo
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1983 Pininfarina Spider

Re: Pininfarina Battery Size

Post by F16Waldo »

Here is a previous thread on the subject. I used size 35 Optima on my 83.
viewtopic.php?t=40516

If I had do it over again, I would get the terminals reversed. Never liked having the terminal connectors on the outside, close to the fender. Last year switched the battery around so the terminals are on the inside. To do this, had to remover rear shelf and push some extra positive battery cable back into the trunk area.

In addition to making it easier to get at the terminals in this configuration, I also disconnect the NEG terminal when I know it is going to be sitting for more than a few days. Obviously have to reset the clock (or ignore it) every time I drive it, but I don't have to deal with a battery tender, etc. This is the type of connector I put on my NEG battery post.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BAF-M ... d_source=1
Damsels Rescued...Dragons Slain