Steering column to linkage issue

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Roscoe790
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Steering column to linkage issue

Post by Roscoe790 »

I have an ‘81 that did not have a key when I purchased it. To get on the trailer, an unnamed family member improvised and dropped the steering column and disconnected the linkage. No big deal, you do what you gotta do. Once we got a key made (thank you, Australia) they were nice enough to hook everything back up. Turns out they did completely hook it up right, and two weeks later I’m making a right turn out of a gas station and it disconnects at the u-joint coming off the column and I go perpendicular across multiple lanes of traffic. Good times. I’m trying to get everything together now, since that wasn’t pleasant, but I’m having a hell of a time getting the u-joint connected with the spring at the bottom of the column. Anybody have any advice?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Steering column to linkage issue

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Roscoe790 wrote:Anybody have any advice?
Yes. Remove the driver's seat, put some blankets down on the floorboard (your back will thank you), and lie down on the floor, bringing along a 13mm wrench and a 13mm socket with driver, and a flashlight and a screwdriver. Going by recollection here, but you basically have to manhandle that U-joint onto the spline while compressing the spring. It's not a good design, but I don't know of any other tricks. Make sure the splines are cleaned and free of burrs, and lubricate them with some oil.

-Bryan
Roscoe790

Post by Roscoe790 »

Sounds about like I figured it would, except this will give me the exciting new opportunity of removing the driver’s seat!

Thank you for the information!

Roscoe
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I have never done this but I'm wondering if it could be easier to remove the universal's other side as well as the steering column and assemble the the universal to the steering column on a work bench. Installing the assembled section might be easier than removing the seat and working under the dash.
Roscoe790

Post by Roscoe790 »

I removed the u-joint on both sides to see if it made it easier. It might, but it wasn't the instant win I was hoping for. I removed the seat, threw down some towels, and got to work this afternoon. It turns out the spring still hates me. Every time I try to get it compressed enough to see the notch for the bolt, the steering wheel decides to push out. The one advantage to the workbench idea is the ability to compress downward with the steering wheel and shaft stabilized. Other than that, the floor of a Fiat is a lot more comfortable without the seat in the way (thanks18Fiatsandcounting)
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Every time I try to get it compressed enough to see the notch for the bolt, the steering wheel decides to push out
I'm still thinking--- Once the universal joint bolt is removed, all that is left to remove the steering column is the connector for the ignition switch, 2 bolt and 2 bendable metal tabs. Then the entire steering column can be set on the work bench or floor. Place the steering wheel facing down and then the pressure to compress the spring will not push the steering wheel out of the column housing.
Like my earlier post I have not tried this but I think it will work.