How to remove Door Lock Assembly?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Scarpa
Your car is a: 1981 SPIDER

How to remove Door Lock Assembly?

Post by Scarpa »

Hi there

My current goal is to get the door lock cylinder out to get it rekeyed; I decided to take out the entire door lock assembly to get at it. However, I'm stuck on removing two pieces:

One is the plastic piece on the side of the door that connects to the body of the car when the door is shut and is on the end of the door lock assembly.

The second piece is the link arm from the lock cylinder to the door lock assembly; I have no idea how to get this off, little bugger doesn't want to budge every way I have tried, and before I can yank the whole assembly out of the door, it looks to be needing to be removed.

I've been following the manual on the removal of all this, the highlighted portions are the ones I'm having issues with. I cant even find the plastic piece its talking about on the door link arm.

I appreciate any help you can provide.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: How to remove Door Lock Assembly?

Post by spider2081 »

The lock assembly is in the exterior handle. It is held into the door by 2 C like clamps and a couple of nuts. They are accessible once the door upholstery is removed. The rod from the handle to the latch has a ball socket on each end. Pop the plastic socket off the ball at the handle end. (top) I like to spray some WD 40 on the ball I think it helps getting the socket off and on.
Once the entire handle is off the car locate the Philips head screw on the back of the handle. put the key into the lock and then remove the screw. then remove the metal clip and the spring. The lock tumbler should then be able to come out with the key.

here is a video on how a basic lock works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smIdInCQ-kU
Scarpa
Your car is a: 1981 SPIDER

Post by Scarpa »

Thanks, Ill try the WD40 to get it off, so far its just not budging.

I actually dont have the key, the reason I'm taking it out is to get it re-keyed.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I actually dont have the key, the reason I'm taking it out is to get it re-keyed.
I believe the glove box and door locks use the same key. It might be easier to remove the glove box door and bring it with its lock to a lock smith and have a key made for it. If the glove box is also locked it they can often be opened by prying the dash up with a wide pry bar just above the knob on the glove box.