CAM BOX GASKET

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
charlielucky
Your car is a: Fiat 124 2000 C3 1981 model

CAM BOX GASKET

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, I have just managed to get my fiat firing on all four cylinders! I found some original new injectors in Germany and they work perfectly. But wait a minute.... The engine was getting up to temperature and I notices some smoke coming from the rear of the engine. On closer inspection there is a small oil leak from the bottom of the cam box on the manifold side. I guess I should have expected some trouble seeing the car hasn't been driven for nearly 30 years. My dilemma is that I want to get the vehicle through the Technical check here in France so that I can apply for a French registration plate which could well take a month. I don't want to miss the chance of driving along the coast here in Brittany this summer. Do you think I could drive it a couple of miles to the test centre without damaging the engine? I'm not over confident about dismantling the cam box and replacing the gasket. If I'm in trouble can anybody talk me through the process? Thank you
charlielucky

Re: CAM BOX GASKET

Post by charlielucky »

A quick update. I have spoken to a competent local mechanic and he thinks I can drive the car to the test centre. In the meantime I have ordered a complete set of engine gaskets. I'm not too confident about replacing the gaskets myself but I'm going to give it a go. Charles
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Hi Charles, sounds like you got your question answered, but yes, oil leakage from the cam box towers is very common and not a cause for concern in terms of running the engine (unless the leak is severe). Sometimes the gasket is the problem, but another source of oil leaks is the top two bolts (or studs) that hold the exhaust manifold to the head. These two bolts (#2 and #4) go into an oil area, and so oil leaks past the threads and onto the hot exhaust manifold where it burns off. The solution there is to put thread sealant on these bolts. Not Loctite, but just some sealant to keep the oil from leaking past the threads.

The same issue happens on the intake side, but since it's cooler, the oil doesn't burn off.

-Bryan
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

Hi Bryan, thank you so much for your reply and now I feel reassured. I have just posted a water pump issue so if you have some advice it will be much appreciated.