soft top frame windows

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
charlielucky
Your car is a: Fiat 124 2000 C3 1981 model

soft top frame windows

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, I removed the glass from my 1981 spider soft top frame a few years ago. My restoration project is almost complete, so now I need to re-install the glass and fit the new top. I purchased what I thought were the correct rubber weather seals to house the glass but I'm having doubts and have no idea how to fit them. I did a bit of searching on the net and I'm wondering if the triangular glass needs to be set in place using setting tape. Help Please.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: soft top frame windows

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Hi Charlie, I think you are correct in that "glass setting tape" is probably what you need here. In my spiders, this rear quarter window looks to be installed in the same manner as the triangular vent windows in the front. I have replaced the front vent windows with new setting tape, and it worked fairly well. There are online videos of how to use setting tape, but basically you make some cuts where the corners are, lubricate it with something like kerosene, slide the glass in the channel, let it dry, then trim off the excess tape with a razor blade.

Make sure to get the right thickness of setting tape. I don't recall what this is, but you can measure and figure it out.

-Bryan
charlielucky
Your car is a: Fiat 124 2000 C3 1981 model

Re: soft top frame windows

Post by charlielucky »

Hi Bryan, thanks so much for the reply. I'll try and get it done in the next week! Very few 124 spiders were sold here in France so it is difficult to find anyone locally who can give me advice. All the best. Charlie