ABS Rocker Panels

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
rbryan2006
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat Spider

ABS Rocker Panels

Post by rbryan2006 »

Has anyone bought/installed the ABS rocker panels? Wondering about how direct of an install they are. Any insight into installation would be great as well. Current panels are rusted out and trying to decide which way to go. TIA!
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: ABS Rocker Panels

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Since no one has responded, I'll go ahead and give it a shot even though I don't have direct experience with the ABS rocker panels. What I have heard is that they are pretty good, but some trimming might be required. Like on the cutouts for where the jacking slots are on the front and rear. The amount of trimming depends on where you get the ABS panels (i.e., which vendor).

In general, expect the 6x1.0 mm bolts that secure the original panels in the top front and rear wheel wells to be totally rusted and just break off. Perfectly "normal", but you might need some workarounds. I have found that as long as the top lip of the rocker panel is secured by at least two or three screws under the sill plate, and the bottom is secured with three screws, it holds just fine.

Hope this helps.
-Bryan
MrToon
Your car is a: 1978 CS1

Post by MrToon »

I purshased them from a Dutch vendor (I'm in Belgium). Bryan is right: I had to trim quite a bit of the front an back edges to get them on. They are pretty flexible so this was pretty easy, but did manage to break one. Glued it together without a problem. The surface was a bit textured but you sand anyway before painting. The paintshop made them look exactly like the rest of the body so no remarks there.

Would I buy them again? I don't know, metal is still preferable to me because you can shape them better.
Bagneaux
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by Bagneaux »

I bought these. I had to trim them, especially the cutouts at the jack lift points. They are OK and the price is right. They look good painted.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143878785178?c ... 2xEALw_wcB
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Yes, I think I bought 2 sets of these very same rocker panels. Some cutting for the jack point cutouts was required, but otherwise they seemed to be a very impressive heavy gauge steel. Much beefier than the original panels.

-Bryan