Lemons 124

General chat about the car goes in here.
Enduro124
Your car is a: 1997 Wrangler

Lemons 124

Post by Enduro124 »

Hi all,

I'm a member of a fledgling Lemons team, and we've seen a couple of 124s locally that could suit our needs. My question to all of you is what you would do to prepare a 124 for the rigors of endurance racing (for those not aware, Lemons is a series of endurance events where the net cost of the car can't exceed $500). My teammates would like to keep things on the simpler side for the first season(rightly so), so would want to run the Tc (1600 or 1800) for at least a few races. My big concerns lie with the trans (I've been *told* that a 131 box will work with minimal fuss, not sure) and the rear axle. I'm open to any ideas in regards to fortifying the drive train you may have, and if you have a better suggestion for a cheap and available drivetrain option I'm all ears (I personally think a 2.5 jeep motor/ax15 is the sort of stupid-but-unique that's befitting of a Lemons build, but I might have a hard time convincing the non-Jeep members of the team on that one :wink: )

Thank you all for any input you might have
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Lemons 124

Post by TX82FIAT »

I think the 2.5 jeep motor and bellhousing are a great choice. However, you would need to do considerable modification of the body with more support. Possible modify engine mounts, trans tunnel, differential with significant cross support for the frame. The little spiders are very flexy. The 131 gearbox or another alternative might be the Niva SUV as some of our vendors sell this and have reported it works well.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
Enduro124

Post by Enduro124 »

Yeah, we'll be looking into increasing the rigidity of the chassis for sure. The cage will help a lot in this regard, and she'll probably end up with some additional bracing where convenient (any mounts we touch will be veeery overbuilt, we've got a very gung-ho fab monkey and some thick steel to play with :lol: ). If we go the route of the 2.5, we'll probably stick with the stock ax5 for a number of reasons. I had originally thought the ax15 would be nice for some peace of mind, but as I don't think the ax5 will be too stressed in the fiat we'll at least start with it, and if we need to upgrade we can.

I still rather like the idea of keeping the Tc and doing something stupid like bike carbs or whatnot, we shall see. I'll look into the Niva, thanks for the tip.

Anyone have suggestions/input on rear end?
I imagine the stock rear will be fine if we keep the Tc, but going to the jeep motor scares me a bit, I dunno. If anyone has some data on that, I'd appreciate it but at the end of the day it's going to have to stand up to hours straight of abuse, and I'd rather error very much on the side of caution. The *best* answer would probably be an 1st gen rx7, but finding one might be both a budget stretch and hard to find in reasonable supply. Again, I've been *told* that the 1st gen s10 axle has an agreeable track width, and around here there's still a fair amount in yards. IIRC the equivalent 2wd Blazer rear had discs, but if we can't find one We might be able to bash something together, as I don't fancy futzing with drums or dealing with trying to dissipate the heat.
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

If you haven’t read up on this….

https://autoricambi.us/content/PDF/Lemo ... _Story.pdf
Enduro124

Post by Enduro124 »

Thanks for that PDF, Bender. Will read up on it. I've not been able to find a ton of info on Spiders running in Lemons events, although I know there have been a few over the years. (I'm suprised there isn't more on the VWDiesel spider, it seems to do quite well at events). Will look again when I get home.