Complete shut down when warm

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Olympian
Your car is a: 1983 Pininfarina Spider Europa

Complete shut down when warm

Post by Olympian »

Hi all, I have a 1983 Pininfarina SpiderEuropa, 2.0 f.i. It generally starts fine from cold, but on every journey, at some point the engine and all electrics will shut down. This usually happens at lower speeds, when not on the gas (e.g. if coasting or if the clutch is engaged, sometimes even if changing up). It usually takes around 3-4 attempts to restart. This usually happens around 5-10 mins into each journey, as the engine gets to temperature. I've recently had a new ignition control module fitted, although this issue occurred many times before that was fitted. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Complete shut down when warm

Post by spider2081 »

When this happens do the red oil pressure and alternator warning lights illuminate with the key in the run position but the engine not running??
Olympian
Your car is a: 1983 Pininfarina Spider Europa

Post by Olympian »

Hi, when the car cuts out, there are no lights visible on the dash. When restarting, only the alternator light illuminates when turning the key for the first few attempts. Then, usually on the fourth or fifth attempt, the handbrake warning light illuminates and then the engine catches.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

If you have a test light or voltmeter I would check for battery voltage at the ignition switch connector. First with the key off both the black and the brown wire should have battery voltage. Then with the key in the run position check the brown, black, pink and blue wires for voltage.
It sort of sounds like an ignition switch or its connector might be the issue. More testing can narrow the problem down.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I don't know how an '83 is wired, but in the early model years, the alternator light on the tachometer was wired in an unusual manner so that it was possible to have power for this light but hardly anything else in the car. However, as an '83 has an internal voltage regulator for the alternator, this may not be relevant.

As Spider2081 pointed out, the symptoms indicate a loss of electrical power for the car, and I agree that that points to either an issue with the ignition switch or a connector, or possibly an issue at the fusebox such as intermittent connection(s) from the +12V supply to the fusebox.

-Bryan