Tightening control arm bolts

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
markko
Your car is a: 1978 spider

Tightening control arm bolts

Post by markko »

So I’m just finishing replacing the control arms, ball joints, and tie rod ends on my 1978. Reattaching the sway bar was a real PITA. After exhausting every conceivable wrong way, I now have that licked, I think. Anyways, I know that that the car has to be laden before I tighten the nuts on the control arms. Do all four wheels have to bearing weight, or can I leave my stands under the rear axle? Failing that, can I put ramps under the front wheels and have the back on the ground, or does the vehicle have to be level? Thanks for your help.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Tightening control arm bolts

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

The way I'm looking at this is that the suspension on all 4 sides (all 4 springs) should be compressed, that is, the A-arms and rear axle aren't just hanging down unsupported. So, whether the rear axle is supported by jack stands or by the tires, the effect is the same: The rear springs are compressed. So you're good there.

On the front, what I do is use a jack to lift up the lower A-arm, usually under the lower ball joint. I have a jack with a circular opening in the middle to avoid crushing the grease fitting if there happens to be one. Take off the front tires, lift up the suspension until the car body also starts to lift, so now the spring is compressed. Then I tighten the control arm pivot nuts.

I don't load up the car with any extra weight to simulate a laden vehicle when doing this, but I can't see any reason that you couldn't. Sometimes my dog sits in the car when I'm doing this, so it's partially laden! :D

-Bryan
markko
Your car is a: 1978 spider

Re: Tightening control arm bolts

Post by markko »

Great; thanks for your help.