Loss of brakes

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI

Loss of brakes

Post by joelittel »

The last time I went to drive the car I had almost no pressure or resistance on the brake pedal and my brake fluid reservoir was low.

There is no obvious leak of fluid anywhere to be seen.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this one?
AlexD
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: Loss of brakes

Post by AlexD »

How long had it been since you'd driven the car? If only driven on occasion, it's possible that there's a small leak or bleed somewhere that wasn't noticeable until the reservoir was depleted to a point where it compromised the ability to build pressure. I'm guessing you checked the lines to and from the brake booster as well as the bleeder valves/hoses at each of the wheels.

Maybe refill the reservoir and have someone apply the brakes while you check the possible points of leaks - you might notice something with a full amount of fluid being pumped through the system. Be mindful of air pockets though depending on how low the reservoir is - if it's critically low/empty you may want to bleed the brake lines and then check for leaks once you're sure there isn't any air in the lines (unless you spot the problem while you're bleeding the system).
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Another possible scenario (perhaps less likely) is that the fluid level slowly dropped over time because of the wear on the brake pads, until it got to the point that air was sucked into the master cylinder leading to the loss of pedal firmness. Also, brake fluid does slowly evaporate, but that process takes years. If this is what happened in your case, and there is still enough "meat" on the brake pads, you could top off the fluid reservoir and bleed the brakes and all is well.

Of course, if your pads are really worn down, it's replacement time. Maybe do a whole brake job while you're at it: new pads, new or turned rotors, rebuilt or new wheel and master cylinders, hoses, etc.

-Bryan
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

As mentioned above, bleed the brakes. When you take the wheel off inspect the pads. Brake fluid does breakdown over time. I've actually noticed my brakes get spongy after driving on the twistys for a little telling me it is time for my 3 to 5 year brake fluid flush.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban