Need help in PNW

General chat about the car goes in here.
georgeramos
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider 1608

Need help in PNW

Post by georgeramos »

Hi all, Im in Portland, OR and have had ZERO luck finding someone to help fix my busted shock tower (front) and lower spring perch (rear)

Both obviously require some welding skills and I have the replacement shock tower if needed. The top of it got busted through as did the lower shock mount (separated from the spring perch) on the rear.

NO body shops will do such a small job. The car has been literally sitting for 1.5 years with this issue. I go start it and warm it up every so often.

Im at the point of just saying hell with it and selling it, so frustrated.

Does anyone know someone with a welder who might be able to help repair these things? Money is not an issue.

Thanks
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: Need help in PNW

Post by DieselSpider »

What about a suspension and frame shop?

I'm finding it pretty hard to imagine a suspension and frame mechanic turning down a cost plus job like this unless it is completely rotted out and needs a full boxing.
georgeramos

Post by georgeramos »

I can’t find any suspension/frame shops. There are a few that do front end work (one of which I’ve used a few times) but they dont do the welding work. There are so few old school shops left in this town it sucks. Not to mention they all seem to think this is some wild ass exotic car or really hard to work on.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Try googling "automotive frame welding portland oregon" When I do, I get several shops that claim to deal with frame straightening and welding. Give them a call, and if they don't do the work, I would think they would know other shops that do. Automotive machine shops often know who does the best welding in town, so give a couple of them a call to see if you get any leads.

-Bryan
georgeramos

Post by georgeramos »

Thanks guys, I got some leads over the past couple of days and will also follow up on your suggestions.
snoutmeat
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Spider

Post by snoutmeat »

I hate it when a thread leaves me hanging! :) Were you successful in finding someone for the work?
georgeramos

Post by georgeramos »

Finally some good news. The rear spring perch is fixed by swapping the differential housing. (Prob obvious... :oops: )

Also I found a guy willing to do the shock tower. Also gonna weld the holes in the trunk and get rid of the luggage rack.

Can’t wait to drive my Spider again!
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

georgeramos wrote:Finally some good news. The rear spring perch is fixed by swapping the differential housing. (Prob obvious... :oops: )

Also I found a guy willing to do the shock tower. Also gonna weld the holes in the trunk and get rid of the luggage rack.

Can’t wait to drive my Spider again!
Glad to hear your making progress on that!

Someone had removed the after market luggage rack years ago from mine without plugging them. There were 10 holes in the lid from that thing so I spoon welded them closed and am pretty happy with the results from the $78 Harbor Freight Flux Wire Welder used with a Copper Spoon.
georgeramos

Post by georgeramos »

Thanks, today I will be working on getting the differential housing swapped, thanks Chris Obert for filling me in and for having the part!