Convertible top glass removal and velcro

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
same0027
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000

Convertible top glass removal and velcro

Post by same0027 »

Hi All,

did a search of the forum, I am in the middle of doing my top and am trying to clean and paint the top frame. I've got it mostly disassembled and it's all pretty straight forward. I would like to remove the glass that is in top frame and it seems to be a pressure fit. Does anyone have any tips for getting this glass out easily?

Also I believe I need to replace the velcro that screws to the backside of this window, is there a part source for this or do I just take off the old velcro (whch seems to be made for the top frame as it's wrapped all the way around the metal piece) and source any old velcro strip and glue it on?

Thanks in advance
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Convertible top glass removal and velcro

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

This video below does a pretty good job of explaining how to remove vent window glass from the frame, which is basically what you're trying to do. I think he's also got another video on putting in the new seals. I've done this on a couple older American cars, but I have not actually done it on the spider rear quarter window.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6hAJhkSbIw

Plus, he's got a cool Australian accent! Nice way to spend an arvo, mate.

As for the Velcro, yes, if you can't reuse it, I would imagine you just reattach some new stuff, either with glue or screws.

-Bryan
same0027

Post by same0027 »

Thanks, yeah that helped. I am wondering is there a source for new window rubber that anyone knows about? I have seem the autoricambi seals which are on backorder for $109 or so but all I really need is the thinner molded u shaped rubber. the bottom rubber is reusable. Seems like a lot for a simple window seal. . .
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

The other places for Fiat parts are Midwest-Bayless and Vick Auto. I didn't seem the seals on their websites, but there are some at:
https://mrfiat.com/italian/fiat/fiat-12 ... a283d1d94d

-Bryan
same0027

Post by same0027 »

Thanks Bryan, that is more palatable. I am going to try to see if some generic straight window glazing gasket material I found can be made to work first ($1 a linnear foot. . .) but if not I'll go for that. I did email Midwest-Bayless as I like giving a midwestern company my business, though I've bought from all the suppliers of course. They did not reply to my query about the window seals. I'll post a reply if the generic glazing works out ok. I was just going to notch it at the bend and see what happens.
same0027

Post by same0027 »

If Anyone else is trying to source the window gasket, I used this straight gasket- https://www.reflectwindow.com/products/ ... 4mm-gasket with good results. My bottom rubber was in reusable condition so it was just the thin gasket that goes on the upper part of the glass and has a bend in it. The molded bend was unnecessary in my opinion. I bought 3 feet and it was just enough.