Hood Latch Cable

General chat about the car goes in here.
Bills80
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Carb 2000 Spyder

Hood Latch Cable

Post by Bills80 »

I took this car apart many years ago and have lost the pictures due to a computer crash. I need to know, on a 1980 spider, how is the cable held fast to the front firewall? I see no holes for screws around the latch that a cable catch might be attached. Thanks in advance
Thanks
Bill

1980 Carb Spider
!966 Maserati Sebring
1989 Full Size Bronco
!989 Bronco II w/V6
1961 Buick Special
!969 El Camino
focodave
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 F.I.

Re: Hood Latch Cable

Post by focodave »

Believe it or not -- there is no clamp that holds the cable housing to the firewall near the latch assembly.
The outer housing is fixed in position, relative to the inner cable, at the pull handle assembly bracket located in the passenger compartment on the driver's side of the car.
No need for a solid mounting point for the outer cable housing near the latch mechanism for it to work properly.
1980 Spider 2000 F.I. (my hobby)
1970 MGB GT (my other hobby)
2008 Ford Expedition (daily driver)
2019 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Standard
2019 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Sportster
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

focodave wrote:Believe it or not -- there is no clamp that holds the cable housing to the firewall near the latch assembly.
The outer housing is fixed in position, relative to the inner cable, at the pull handle assembly bracket located in the passenger compartment on the driver's side of the car.
No need for a solid mounting point for the outer cable housing near the latch mechanism for it to work properly.
I ended up making one anyways just to play it safe. Attached it to the stud on the side of the latch where the cable goes into it.
Yadkin
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Post by Yadkin »

focodave wrote:Believe it or not -- there is no clamp that holds the cable housing to the firewall near the latch assembly.
I had this same question, but no access to my PC, and searched my parts bin for about an hour before giving up. Now when I get back to it (the car is two hours from where I now live), I can put the hood back on and not worry about not being able to open it again.

Thanks for your clear and concise answer.