Wheels ...

General chat about the car goes in here.
mikewof
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat Spider 124

Wheels ...

Post by mikewof »

Hi All, I went back three pages into this new-to-me forum, and I've discovered two things ...

1. I friggen love this place, you folks are apparently even more in love with your 124s than I am,
2. It seems y'all have your tire/wheel issues squared away.

But I don't, the issue is that I have my original Fiat 124 wheels on my beloved Paloma, and the tire place tells me that the lip design isn't easy to find anymore. I actually had this problem to a degree back in the 1980s, and I ended up putting tubes in each wheel and then just using whatever fit.

But that isn't a great option for me, I need to get my wheel issue squared away. First off, does anyone know of a standard size that will fit the 1975 Spider with the existing lug holes and pin holes?

My vehicle (and I'm assuming most of your vehicles) uses lug bolts, are they compatible with any contemporary wheel configs, as far as seat and taper?

Any luck with any tubeless tires that work with the existing wheel tire flange?

Thanks!
FiatFarm
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 BC Sport Coupe

Re: Wheels ...

Post by FiatFarm »

First off, I'm having a hard time that your tire shop can't find tires for stock Fiat steel wheels.. :? :roll:

Second, Fiat has it's own lug bolt pattern - 4 X 98mm. Except for a few related cars; Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Maserati nobody else uses it.
But there are a wide variety of alloy wheels available from vintage 70's~80's US and European wheels and now to more modern wheels and European replica's of some vintage wheels.

Since you mentioned "contemporary wheel configs" start off with the forum owners wheel page on their website; vickauto.com
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by aj81spider »

I'm with FiatFarm. I don't know of anyone running with tubes, and this is the first time I've heard of problems with a Fiat wheel accepting tires. I'm running Iron Cross 13" rims with Altimax tires if that's any help.

Most of our vendors sell new wheels for the Fiat in the right bolt configuration. People sometimes don't like the selection of 13" tires and upgrade to 15" through our vendors for better tire selection.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
davidbruce
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by davidbruce »

Mike, looking at the picture in your first post. Are those Pinto hub caps on stock spider rims? As has been already said. These cars use a 4x98 bolt circle that is not very common. While an Alfa or Lancia rim may bolt on you need to be careful of the offset. That being said there are lots of options out there All with pros and cons. I'm not familiar with early Fiat steel wheels, but my '80 steel spare has a modern tubeless tire mounted. If you stay with 13''s you can potentially keep your unsprung weight down. While the selection may be limited, a cheap modern tire is probably better than a new one in the 70's. Unless you are racing. Are you likely to push the limits of your tires? Going to 15's gives a greater selection. But if you go low profile to keep the diameter the same you likely will end up with a harsher ride. I would figure out my end goal, search the tire and wheel section on this forum and then you can come up with a plan that suits you.
Dave Kelly
Campbell River B.C.
1973 Sport(sold)
1980 Spider 2000(project, aren't they all)
mikewof

Post by mikewof »

davidbruce wrote:Mike, looking at the picture in your first post. Are those Pinto hub caps on stock spider rims? As has been already said. These cars use a 4x98 bolt circle that is not very common. While an Alfa or Lancia rim may bolt on you need to be careful of the offset. That being said there are lots of options out there All with pros and cons. I'm not familiar with early Fiat steel wheels, but my '80 steel spare has a modern tubeless tire mounted. If you stay with 13''s you can potentially keep your unsprung weight down. While the selection may be limited, a cheap modern tire is probably better than a new one in the 70's. Unless you are racing. Are you likely to push the limits of your tires? Going to 15's gives a greater selection. But if you go low profile to keep the diameter the same you likely will end up with a harsher ride. I would figure out my end goal, search the tire and wheel section on this forum and then you can come up with a plan that suits you.
Yes! They are Pinto hubcaps! Good eye! When I got her back in the early 1980s, she had the Fiat hubcaps, but they fell apart and flew off on my trips over the Rockies, the Pinto hubcaps fit better than the Fiat caps.

I had to start running with tubes back in about 1987. I was sick of buying Pirellis that barely run 10k miles, so I got Goodrich, and for whatever reason, they just wouldn't stay locked in to the rim when I got into even mild rough stuff. Tubes solved the problem. Perhaps contemporary tires might work better?

I'm fine with keeping the steel wheels I have If I can find a tubeless to lock into them. I might pop off the Pinto caps, paint the steel wheels and hubs black and see how she looks capless, I've always had a soft spot for steel wheels. I've no intention to race or do anymore rallies with her, she's a garage queen now, just takes an occasional drive to pick up tequila.
Grampa
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by Grampa »

Hi, I'm new back to the club after a few years lapse, and this is one of the first articles I have run across, so...
I have been running a '75 Spider on stock 13" wheels and tires since 2004 and have had zero issues. (I'm on my third set now.) I'd get a second opinion from another tire shop if I were you.
mikewof

Post by mikewof »

Grampa wrote:Hi, I'm new back to the club after a few years lapse, and this is one of the first articles I have run across, so...
I have been running a '75 Spider on stock 13" wheels and tires since 2004 and have had zero issues. (I'm on my third set now.) I'd get a second opinion from another tire shop if I were you.
Thanks. What tires do you use? I'll just get those.

I did used to off-road my Spider a good bit around Colorado, which is likely why I had to go with tubes. Do any rally folks use tubes instead of bead locks? Has anyone seen these Spiders with bead locks? I don't accelerate hard, so I never had a problem with the tubes, I just liked the way that I wouldn't lose a bead when I drove over rocks.

As for your ;75, do you use hubcaps, or just leave the steel wheels naked? I think the steel wheels are elegant, I've decided to return mine to their natural black, remove the hubcaps and see how she looks.
Grampa
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by Grampa »

My current set of tires are labeled thusly: Vee Rubber City Star-V2 165/80 R13 Got them from my local tire shop where I have shopped for 30 years or so. Hendersonville Tire, Hendersonville Tn. They might be able to give you more info.
And yes, I do run it with the hubcaps, and have never had an issue with that either. Good luck.