How to fix splits in seat bottom seams?

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

How to fix splits in seat bottom seams?

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Anyone have any tips on fixing broken seams on the seat bottoms? My seats are in pretty good shape, but the vinyl is splitting apart where the 9 or so parallel accent lines are sewn in. It's not the thread that's broke, it's the actual vinyl where the thread went through.

I suppose I could go in there with black upholstery thread and try to pull the seams together again, but I'm worried it would just continue to split the vinyl apart. I believe these are the original seats for my '69, so that's 52 years of aging...

-Bryan
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Re: How to fix splits in seat bottom seams?

Post by kilrwail »

I had an upholstery shop replace a panel on my seat that got punctured by a screwdriver in my pocket. The vinyl is a perfect match and the work was top notch and inexpensive. Sometimes it's best to use a pro.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
18Fiatsandcounting

kilrwail wrote:I had an upholstery shop replace a panel on my seat that got punctured by a screwdriver in my pocket. The vinyl is a perfect match and the work was top notch and inexpensive. Sometimes it's best to use a pro.
Thanks, Peter, and I tend to agree with you. The only counterpoint I can offer is that labor rates in the San Francisco Bay Area have risen to crazy levels in recent years. Based on the prices for everything else automotive these days (mechanical repairs, body work, etc), my guess is that a repair would cost more than a new upholstery set from one of our vendors. But, that's just a guess, so maybe I'll make some phone calls and ask around.

A side note: The original vinyl for the front seats is stamped inside with "Naugahyde" and "Uniroyal" and "69". Apparently, Naugahyde was developed by US Rubber which became Uniroyal in the mid 1960s. I don't know if the "69" stamped on my seats is a date, a product code, or an "inspector number". I'm now pretty sure these seats are the original, and it's just interesting that Fiat used an American manufacturer for the vinyl seat covers.

-Bryan
kilrwail

Post by kilrwail »

I didn't see the back of my old vinyl, but my upholstery guy had no trouble matching it. Maybe there was a code. He's located in a rural area about 40 miles from the nearest large city (Ottawa), so his labour rate is low - I think it cost me $100 to replace a panel. You might have to go for a drive in the country.

2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
18Fiatsandcounting

kilrwail wrote:I didn't see the back of my old vinyl, but my upholstery guy had no trouble matching it. Maybe there was a code. He's located in a rural area about 40 miles from the nearest large city (Ottawa), so his labour rate is low - I think it cost me $100 to replace a panel. You might have to go for a drive in the country.
Good to know. There's a store in the US called Joann's Fabrics, and they sell marine vinyl in rolls, as much as you need. I bought a half yard to replace the rear panels in the seat backs, and it was around $10 for enough to do both seats. For that price, it's easier to replace the flat panel than to try and fix any issues. And yes, this marine vinyl is almost identical to the original vinyl in terms of color and texture. Piping and accent contours would be more challenging of course.

I don't know if Joann's exists in Canada, but maybe there's an equivalent.

Also, I did go for a drive in the country when I had the leather seats in my Jaguar reconditioned. The guy did both front seats, the rear bench seat, and the center console for about $600. Looked like new, and he fixed a tear in one of the side bolsters. I would go this route on the Fiat seats, but he is about 200 miles distant, and I am reluctant to spend as much on gas as I would for the repair. For the Jag repair, it made sense.

-Bryan
kilrwail

Post by kilrwail »

We have several chains of fabric stores, but Joann's isn't one of them. My guy is a local small business and he's very successful with the local hot rod and boating people. Good luck!

2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

Joann's Fabrics or Sail Rite. Even if you do not purchase from Sail Rite they are a good source of information on how to do your own upholstery work.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-To-Project ... o-Projects