Bumper Ends

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
yap123

Bumper Ends

Post by yap123 »

On my 1982 Spider, my front passenger-side black bumper end is loose. Where and how do I tighten the bolt to the bumper end?

Thanks!
davidbruce
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: Bumper Ends

Post by davidbruce »

If I am remembering correctly. There is a stud from the rubber through the bumper end plate, accessed from the rear of the bumper. That stud is welded to a metal tab bonded to the rubber. The loose rubber is caused by the weakened tab flexing and eventually the rubber falls off. If the nut is rusted to the stud you my tear it off by tightening or loosening it. You can then either try to find a good used replacement or some people have drilled through the rubber and through bolted with a carriage bolt. Once the bolt head is painted flat black it's fairly subtle. I chose to go bumperless.
Dave Kelly
Campbell River B.C.
1973 Sport(sold)
1980 Spider 2000(project, aren't they all)
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

There is a nut on the inside and they are highly prone to becoming seized so treat with PBlaster a few days prior to attempting to tighten. I have had to grind down the rubber to expose the metal plate cast into the bumper end so I could weld a new stud on and I have also drilled and tapped the metal plate to thread a new stud in also. When you arc weld the stud on you have to quickly quench the steel after each pass so you don't melt/burn the rubber.
Funcar
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Post by Funcar »

The end rubber on my rear passenger side had the metal stud broken off and the metal inside was so badly rusted I couldn't weld a new stud to it. I removed the metal from inside the end rubber...takes some time!

I took the end rubber to an accomplished welder friend who cut and put 2 pieces of stainless steel plate inside and welded them together. Then he welded a stud I provide to the plate.

Works perfect. You should know I tried to purchase end rubbers and had a hard time finding them in Ontario Canada. I did buy a used set of bumpers front and back which cost considerable for shipping. The seller was quite the photographer as they looked better than what I had in pictures but ended up in worse shape then mine . The passenger side rubber had been destroyed by the guy who drilled through the rubber and put a long bolt through it to attach to the bumper. (as described above which he had painted black...not very subtle) He had used some kind of tar to attach the middle rubber sections. SOB refused to give me my money back. Buyer beware was his answer!
Glen
Kitchener ON Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

I haver a front and rear bumper in great shape I would sell for a reasonable amount including plates and bumper shocks. Ground ship should minimize the total price. Let me know if interested. Let's say $125 for front and rear bumpers + packing/shipping cost. Unless you are near me in San Antonio and can swing by.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban